questions about plumbing for a tank

barchtruong

hi all,
Is 1" overflow bulkhead too big for a 40g tank? If not, what would you recommend?
And If a 1" bulkhead is ok, how much room do I need to leave around the hole thru glass for a 1" fitting to fit in (like do I have to drill it 1.25"dia hole, or 1"exact is all good?
Also, do you drill the glass yourself, or do you send to the glass shop? How risky is it to drill the glass yourself?
Thank you for all comments.

acrylic51

Super easy to drill the tank yourself......where at on the tank are you drilling it? If you do a search on here you'll find some good threads on drilling yourself..... I think the 1" bulkhead is fine for that size tank.....I'm not quite following the other part of your question though
Are you asking how far from the edge per say to drill the bulkhead hole?

barchtruong

hi acrylic51,
thanks for your comments.
The other question was about the actual size of the hole I need to drill through the glass. For example, if the bulkhead diameter is 1" exact, then the hole through glass is supposed to be 1-1/4" or something like that. I have never seen a bulkhead in person, so I really don't know if it's really exactly 1"dia, or if it's 7/8" or whatever.
And referring to your other question about where on the glass I am going to drill the hole, I am going to drill a hole right on the upper center of the back glass panel. I will let water flow through that hole and down into the sump. The hole is about 2" from the edge of the glass. Is that too close? The glass is 3/8" thick.
Thank you again for your comments.