Questions about Skimmer & Live Sand

shari2shop

Okay.. I'm researching to set up a 55 gallon FOWLSLR.
Can anyone suggest a protien skimmer???? I would really like one that does a good job but does not break the bank.
Also, I'm a little confussed about the live sand. I have seen several people suggesting buying sand at places such as Lowes???? Now surely that is not 'live' sand is it??? Do people buy the cheap sand and then add a little bit of the live sand to the top (in hopes it all becomes laive after a while?)???
While you're here... any suggestions on power heads??? I need 2 in my 55 gal right? What brand do you suggest?
Thanks a ton!!!! You guys are just wonderful for sharing your knowledge with all us newbies!!!!
Shari ;)

wamp

What type of bank do you have?
Get the best you can afford.. Or, pay for it later:)

conrad

I am new to this hobby as well, but I have a 90 gal FOWLR tank and I have a ETS Super Reef Devil skimmer. It does a fantastic job. The H20 quality is impecable and it looks very clear. I think it was around $200 or so.
Conrad:cool:

bahamianme

I use 2 Fluvals. 304 & 204 also protein skimmer thats listed below after my signature. So far, I've been very successful with the equip that listed.:eek: :eek: