Questions and Concerns about UV

klh

I bought a used tank setup several months ago from a person that referred me to this forum. The person also insisted I install a UV Sterilizer to my reef tank (which I have done). Since I've been here, I've read where UV is not recommended for a reef tank. Can someone please explain to me why this is? Thanks!
Kathy

cruzan277

I am sure some of the other guys who have more experience will be able to add to what I am about to say but a UV sterilizer IMHO is great for any type tank. "The UV sterilizer is a tool used by many marine aquarists to combat and kill harmful, waterborne bacteria, viruses, fungi, and small protozoans, which may turn a beautiful and peaceful aquarium into a deadly nightmare. The UV unit also helps control algae blooms by killing waterborne algae." I run one in my 125 gallon tank 24/7. Some people dont use them and other do.
[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: Cruzan277 ]

wamp

UV is a tochy subject around here. And most "experts" advise is against them on a reef. I have one that very very rarely gets turned on. Only if I see a problem happening in the tank. The problem with a UV is it kills anyhting live that passes through it. This includes some things you want in your tank. It somewhat helps control algea but your clean-up crew from SWF.com will do a much better job than a UV. But for a FO tank I think they are a good thing.

klh

Thanks for your replies! I should have known it would be a touchy subject lol. Right now my tank is doing very well. I have a good many corals, and they seem to like what they have. I have no probs with them opening or eating. I think I'll go by the old saying "if it's not broke, don't fix it". If something goes haywire, I'll probably turn off the UV.
Kathy