Questions for Queen Angel owners

jon in tx

I'm considering adding a Queen Angel to my 90 gal Fish only tank. I do have a Coral Beauty and am leaning towards returning it to prevent any angel conflicts. The other inhabitants include:
Occelaris Clown
Strawberry Psuedo/Dottyback
Coral Banded Shrimp
Yellow Tang
Starfish-Basic
Long Tentacle Anenome
135 lbs of live rock / Tank is 1 yr old
1 - Any compatability issues with other fish?
2 - The ones I've seen usually hide - is this common?
3 - I'm aware they need large tank - should I get juvi/small?
4 - How long would it take for it to outgrow my tank?
5 - Will it bother my anenome?
6 - Should I return the Coral Beauty before adding Queen?
:notsure:

fish1031

1- I had one and was picked on my large blue hippo (8in) queen was 5in
2- mine did not hide a lot at all
3- they do need a large tank-- 90g is pushing it especially when they are large- I would try to get a med. sized one they do better then small Juvis
4- I am not sure how long... but I don't think they grow terribly fast... will outgrow eventually
5- they are NOT reef safe
6- You can keep a large (like a queen) angel with a pygmy (coral beauty) angel

peter1215

a 90g is pushing it unless you get a juvi around 3" and plan on getting a bigger tank at least six feet withing the next year or two. I got mine last spring . she was about 4.5" not shes easily 6". I have a 120g five foot tank but just got a 210g tank. pygmy angels wont be problem with queens. also make sure your water quality is very good and feed a good variety of food. a good skimmer is also a must especially since you only have 90g . good luck ,

N

nereef

like stated, compatability issues won't be a problem, but tank size eventually will.
i believe full-size angels are natural predators of such stars.

lesleybird

Hi, Why don't you get a majestic angel instead of a queen angel? I have a majestic in my 90 gallon and it has been fine for the last three years. The reason that I would get a majestic instead is that they only get to 10 inches..... Doesn't a queen get a lot larger than that? Lesley

jon in tx

Originally Posted by Lesleybird
Hi, Why don't you get a majestic angel instead of a queen angel? I have a majestic in my 90 gallon and it has been fine for the last three years. The reason that I would get a majestic instead is that they only get to 10 inches..... Doesn't a queen get a lot larger than that? Lesley
I've never seen the Majestic in my LFS... looking at the pic on-line here, they are nice but not quite as beautiful as Queen. Does yours look pretty much like the one posted? If not, can you pls post a picture of yours?

jon in tx

Originally Posted by Lesleybird
By the way, can you tell me where all the LFS are in Houston? The only one I've found so far is the one on Hwy. 290 (NW). Last week I was in Humble and couldn't find one in the yellow pages. I'm particularly interested in any on the East side since I live towards Baytown/Beaumont.

lesleybird

Hi, I want a blue faced angelfish but will not buy one because they grow to 16 inches and need a two to three hundred gallon tank. Your dream queen anglefish grows to 18 inches and will also need a two hundred to three hundred gallon tank. My majestic angelfish is beautiful too....almost as beautiful as the other two, but at a max of ten inches it can live well in the 150 gallon that I plan to get next year. Now it is about 5 and a half inches long. There are two fish stores up here in northwest Houston, the one on 290, and one on Jones Road a couple of blocks off of 290....the names escape me now. One is Aquatic World, and the other?? Don't remember. There is another one South East of me called City Pets that has a lot of saltwater fish. There is another one kind of near Sharpstown that I don't go to often...still don't know the name here too. Don't know the fish stores in your neck of the woods. I really would think about the majestic angelfish though.....unless you plan to upgrade to a 250 gallon tank. Lesley