questions

taznut

just a couple of questions for you guys... i was told a lot of bad info at the lfs yesterday (stuff that i knew the answers to before they started talking) but i was courious if some of it was true...
1. can i keep a condy in a 10gal with 3 24" 20w normal output for lighting?
2. can i keep a bta in a 20gal with a 130w 50/50 for lighting???
3. why has my fox coral doubled in size in the last 2 days??? i have had if for about 4 weeks, my anemone died while i was switching cc for ls, it is about 2" under water.... tank levels as of yesterday are sp 1.025, temp. 83, Ph 8.0, nitrate 20ppm, nitrite 1.0, NH4 0.50...
4. my blue damsel is digging holes in my ls all over the place... how do i stop this????

mcsd22

As for the anemone, it died due to AM and tank being new. The BTA is a gamble on the lighting. Get rid of the damsel. The tank should be seasoned before trying another anomene like 6 months or so.

taznut

dont plan on getting another anemone for awhile... i kinda like the damsel is there anything else i can do??? will it quit doing this???

michaeltx

1. can i keep a condy in a 10gal with 3 24" 20w normal output for lighting?
I wouldnt condys wander a lot and get big so a 10 gallon I wouldnt recomend it.
2. can i keep a bta in a 20gal with a 130w 50/50 for lighting???
I would have to say NO its better to have atinic and then a seperate bulb for the daylighting the 50/50 bulb loose a lot when they are mixed. also it depends on the type of lighting. so what type are or do you have on there.?
3. why has my fox coral doubled in size in the last 2 days??? i have had if for about 4 weeks, my anemone died while i was switching cc for ls, it is about 2" under water.... tank levels as of yesterday are sp 1.025, temp. 83, Ph 8.0, nitrate 20ppm, nitrite 1.0, NH4 0.50...
Corals will expand and contract for several different reasons its trying to get more light its happy or its trying to get as much energy as it can get but thats just a few reasons. They can vary in size day to day and hour by hour. what is you nitrite at now?
4. my blue damsel is digging holes in my ls all over the place... how do i stop this????
I hate damsels for this and many other reasons but there is nothing that you can do to prevent them from digging its jsut what some fish do unfortunetly.
Hows the tank doing after the change out??
Mike

taznut

other than the water levels being really bad it looks a lot better and doing fine... can i keep the condy in my 20gal??? the light on my 20 gal is a coralife 130w (2 65w 50/50 bulbs) power compact... so the condy doesnt need a lot of light??? is the only reason you say no because the size of the tank??? i like my damsel so i will check the lr and leave him in there i guess (plus i couldnt get him out without moving all my lr)...

michaeltx

you could keep it in the 20 but be aware they LOVE to move so if theres anything in there in its path it will sting and could kill it. but mainly no in the 10 jsut because of the size of the tank and how big the condy can get.
The tang in this picture is about 4.5 to 5 inches long so it will give you an idea on size this is one condy that was HUGE!!
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/10539...40614259IOYhkg
Mike

seannmelly

Condalactys(sp) aka Condy anenomes IME are notorious for moving all over a tank! I had a 90 gallon w/ a condy that moved all over the tank in an hour! I mean from one side to the other and back and up and down and all over before deciding on one rock in the back where it couldnt be seen. This thing was a pain in the a** and ate guppies on a regular basis(i had dwarf lion that would only eat guppies).
The 20 gallon w/ 130w of 50/50. Is that regular flourescent lighting or powercompact. If it is power compacts IMO you should be fine with a bubble tip anenome. And as said above it would be better w/ an actinic bulb and sunpaq bulb. If is is regular flourescent I think you are pushing it a little bit.
Corals regulary expand and contract. Mine usually are contracted when my actinics first come on and when we do a water change or when we move the coral. Any other time the polyps are extended. Your anenome probably died because your ammonia was elevated and your nitrite was high to the point of deadly when you stirred up the cc.
And IMO the damsel will not stop digging holes. I have a gold stripe maroon clown that swishes his/her tail in the sand all the time stirring up the sand. It's kind of what they do(damsels and clowns are in teh same family).

taznut

i made sure my rock was stable so im ok with keeping the damsel... the 130w is a power compact... so now i have 2 opinions on the BTA, one for and one against the 130w being good enough... so is the condy not a good idea in either of my tanks??? only wanted to know cause i know it doesnt need MH or T5 lighting and there was like a 3" one for 16$ at my lfs so i thought that would be a good gift for the 10gal, maybe the 20 if it will work but i would rather have the BTA...

seannmelly

I have to say this just because...the condy is so cheap because it is such a pain in the a**!! lol. I mean if you don't mind it moving everywhere and possibly stining anything it comes in contact with then get it. But it packs quite a sting so I've heard.

taznut

ok thanks for all your guys help... i whill have to think about the BTA and wait until my levels get back to 0...