Questions

jwagne267

am currently build a new 20 gallone setup and I had a few questions. First my tank is a 20 long witha 10 gallon sump. I just finished build the cabinet for it(will post pictures later) and now I am moving on to plumbing. I just recieved some things I ordered and of course I have more questions.
1.) I have 1 inch bulkhead fittings and I will be using this as a reef tank. I was wondering what the return pump should be. I have powerheads that I will probably use but I just want to know about how much the return pump should actually do?
2.) Also what kind of lighting do you people advise. I want to be able to keep anything I could possibly want in there. Its standard 30"x12"x12". I would rather go with T5 so I don't have heating issues. But I would like to keep anything I want. I will be retrofitting it. 150 MH or 96 T5HO?
3.) One more thing is do I absolutely need a protein skimmer? I won't have much fish(maybe 2 clownfish and Goby) in there as I am a big fan of different types of shrimp. If I change the water regularly. Trying to keep costs down as I am a college student.

srfisher17

I'll just touch the skimmer issue: IMO, a skimmer is not an absolute necessity, but should it should be your next major purchase. You only need a small one, maybe try Craigs list when the time comes.