Quick Emperor filter question.

angelofish

Does anyone with an Emperor filter have metal rods on their bio wheels? Mine do an I think it might be affecting my tank. One of them is corroded and that can't be good for the tank.I think :notsure:

angelofish

I want to replace them. Ive seen mini bio wheels with plastic rods. Do the emperor replacements have plastic rods as well.

rappa

I took the wheels out of my emperor. I just run the carbon filters. The wheels were contributing to a nitrate problem in my tank. If you have a lot of LR, then it is my understanding that the Bio wheels are useless. If I am wrong, somebody please correct me.

jonnywater

The bio wheels actually only house the bacteria to turn ammonia to nitrite and then nitrite to nitrate. It doesnt have the ability to change the nitrate into anything. That is most likely why it is written on the site', box, and instruction manual. Also, mine has the plastic rods. Was ordered new about 4 months ago - the emperor 400 that is. I think you can buy replacement wheels for it though.

mike35019

I Just ordered the emp 400 and CSS for my 55gal. Couple of questions, first should I run carbon in a newly setup tank with LR and LS? Second should I remove the wheels?

angelofish

Thanx J-water. That's what I wanted to know.I went ahead and ordered replacements because the sides of my wheels are stained with what looks like rust.I hope the replacements come with plastic rods.

angelofish

Got my replacement.I didnt realize they didnt come in pairs.(DUH!) The new one has a plastic rod. Heres what my old looked like. I think its rust.

angelofish

Got my replacement.I didnt realize they didnt come in pairs.(DUH!) The new one has a plastic rod. Heres what my old looked like. I think its rust. Im going to get a 2nd replacement for the other wheel.