Quick ID Help...thanks!

chaseter

I just noticed this thing crawling around. It is a black worm with what looks like a hard/skeletal head and it eats with a suction cup. It is little, less than half an inch. What is it? Do I need to remove it?
Thanks!
It looks like it's head is egg shaped, sort of looks like a black tick, and I can see the soft body extending into a hole.

scsinet

Originally Posted by chaseter
http:///forum/post/3153432
I just noticed this thing crawling around. It is a black worm with what looks like a hard/skeletal head and it eats with a suction cup. It is little, less than half an inch. What is it? Do I need to remove it?
Thanks!
It looks like it's head is egg shaped, sort of looks like a black tick, and I can see the soft body extending into a hole.
I am of the school of thought that if you can't ID it, then you should remove it. Your description doesn't sound too friendly, but I cannot tell you for sure what it is. If you can get a picture of it, that would probably help everyone tremendously.

chaseter

It is too tiny for a picture. I will try to suck it out and quarantine it to take a picture. If not, I will remove the LR and try to take care of it.
If it is friendly then I will put it back in.

spanko

They are great alge eaters. If you have not noticed yet they are quick little bugger too. Grow to only less than an inch usually. Active mostly at night. Good stuff!

chaseter

Back he goes in then! Thanks!
I guess he hitched off of some LR? Does any place sell critters like this? I have never seen any critter like this for sale on any site or lfs.

spanko

I have never seen them at LFS either. And of course I was not lucky enough to get any hitching in on my live rock.

chaseter

I read that they breed like rabbits. If I start noticing a lot, I will bag some and be happy to trade some off! I will keep you updated Spanko.

scsinet

Oh I've got these in my tank as well. I used to call them "snails on the half shell." Someone told me they were some kind of limpet. No problems with them though. If you get a lot of them, a sixline will help eat the little guys.

chaseter

My tank is already full:(
I have a 14 with a baby yellow watchmen, a firefish, and a juvenile yellow stripe maroon. I can't put in any more fishies.
But, my cerith snails laid eggs about a month ago and now I have tiny little snails every where.
I just wanted to make sure this guy was a-okay because I know I didn't buy it and I wanted to make sure it didn't chomp down on my corals or attack my fish.