Quick live rock question

lkb3493

be gentle I am still a newbie....

This may seem obvious to most but on one side of my tank I have this huge piece of live rock that is shaped like a cavern with lots of little spots to hide etc... I bought some base rock and put it on the other side of the tank to give my fish somewhere on that side to go and hide. Will the live rock seed the base rock if they are not touching or am I supposed to have some live touching the base? :notsure: Thanks in advance

drew2005

Originally Posted by lkb3493
be gentle I am still a newbie....

This may seem obvious to most but on one side of my tank I have this huge piece of live rock that is shaped like a cavern with lots of little spots to hide etc... I bought some base rock and put it on the other side of the tank to give my fish somewhere on that side to go and hide. Will the live rock seed the base rock if they are not touching or am I supposed to have some live touching the base? :notsure: Thanks in advance
It would help to have some live touching but you could scrape off some coralline from the live rock and release the spores into the water. That would work also. It only takes a small amount to get it started.

lkb3493

Should I scrape some off and lay it on the base rock? My live rock is doing great with the coralline.

lion_crazz

The live rock will seed the base rock, just give it time. You can take a new tooth brush and just brush the live rock to get spores into the water.