Quick ? on T5 bulbs

keltic

I just got my setup today and need to get the bulbs for it. I have a 55 which will have a combo of 2 175w 21000K bulbs and 2 48" 54w T5's. Should I get full actinic bulbs or go with the Aquablues which are 60% actinic and 40% 11000K? I definitely plan on corals in this tank and don't want to limit my self as far as selection. Thanks for the help!

the color/temp of the bulbs is not going to affect which corals you can and cant have. I dont really know what to tell you . . . . I dont think that people typically run actinic supplements when using 20K halides . . . . your tank is going to be pretty blue with just that alone. If you were to use actinic T5's your tank is going to be REALLY blue. On the other hand, if you use the combo blubs it may look strange with the 20K halide . . . . its really up to you.

keltic

So the metal halides should provide the correct spectrum for most corals? And if that is the case, should I maybe get some 6500K full light T5's?

To answer your question . . . yes, the metal halide will provide all the light that your corals will need.
On another note, the correct spectrum for corals is anything above 6500K . . . it makes no difference really to the coral what color the light is. The only difference is really for the viewer. The higher the color temp, the bluer the light, the deeper the light will penetrate, and the more your corals will glow. But for example, 6500K has been shown to produce the most growth rates in sps corals, but it is a yellow color which most people find unattractive. I would not buy the 6500K T5's.
I would do one of the following:
A.) Return the T5 setup and just go with the 20K MH
B.) Retrurn the 20K MH bulb and buy a 10K MH and use T5 actinic supplements (my personal vote goes here)

reefraff

With two 20k halides on a 55 the t5's are overkill unless they are the low power helios. If you think the 20k's are too blue you could use t5 daylight bulbs to neutralize the color. Otherwise get your money back on the t5's if you can.

D

diatom

I tend to agree with 007
I am running 250watt 10K's with the blue t-5's I just switched from VHO Actinics this weekend so I'm not sure about what affect it will have on the coral coloration, but I do like the added blue color in the tank.
Some of you are wondering is really just an perference question too. what looks best to you will look different to someone else.
hth,
D~