quick plumbing question

isistius

if the inlet size on my pump is 1/2", what size bulkhead will i need when i cut a hole in my sump. also, what size hole saw for that bulkhead?
tia

acrylic51

You could cut a hole big enough to install a 1/2" bulkhead if you choose, but I would at least install a 1" bulkhead to feed my return pump.

trippkid

Yeah, I would use at least 3/4, but 1" would be the best option, then just reduce right at the pump. The hole saw sizes should be 1 1/2" for 3/4" BH and 1 3/4 for a 1" BH.

Matt

isistius

ok. so, cut the 1.75" hole, install the 1" bulkhead, pvc, union, then reduce it to .5" for the pump. my return is only a mag 5, so it's some tiny plumbing.

trippkid

Yeah, I figured it was a small mag drive(you'll have to see what kind of flow you get, when head height is figured, I hope your not pushing to high, not too familiar with the model 5. A 3.5, 5, and model 7 all use the 1/2" face plate(impeller cover), in case you need a little more flow. With the 1" PVC there should be more than enough water to supply the pump and you have the option to go bigger if needed. I know, once primed they do have some suc tion, but with the bigger size pipe the supply is right there at the intake, not having to pull through the 1/2" pvc from the sump. I'm having some problems explaining. How about just so there is enough water at the pump at all times with as little restriction as possible on the intake side of the pump, then do whatever you have to on the return side.
I hope I'm helping some, I'm not sure on what you are doing, so I can't say do this and that. Are you just making a small sump for a small tank?
Matt

isistius

well, i already have a small sump. i'm getting a new skimmer, and the only i'm looking at, msx-160, will go insump, so i'll have to take my mag5 out.

trippkid

Gotcha. Still go with the bigger BH, like have said should do the job for you. I would make it as short of a run as possible though.

Matt