Quick question for electicians

trompet3

so by having 2 of the piggy back circuits you have 4 separate circuits, but it only takes up 2 circuit spaces thus saving you room in the box.
I seems like I have extra spaces below, so I would not even need the piggy back circuits.

farmboy

Check behind the panel before removing the "knockouts". THere should be a space in the hotrail to insert another breaker. Sometimes the covers are also used on bigger boxes and not all the spaces are spaces-like the top of your panel. It says do not remove across the knockouts.
Having all your breakers add up to more than the main is OK. It is kinda like plumbing. The water source to your house is capable of, let's say 5 gallons/minute. Your bathtub faucet is capable of around 3 gallons/minute. NO problem. If you have 2 bathtub faucets, and you turn both of them on at once, the source can't keep up and the flow is reduced to both. Each will have around 2.5gallons/minute. Add the kitchen sink(around 1.5gallons/minute) and the amount available to the bathtub is reduced again.
To continue the analogy to your box--each circuit/faucet is limited to the rated amount but probably never even approaches it. (You don't always need 3 gallons/minute to wash your hands.)
I ramble--hope that makes sense.

acrylic51

Good point to pull the cover off the box to make sure you have space on the hot bus. That is why I had suggested piggy back breakers. I have plenty of spaces left but chose that option just in case I need the other spaces down the road!!!!!

trompet3

Any idea on how hard it might be to find breakers for this panel?
The panel is from 1977 and the last time they added a breaker was for the hot tub and was about 8 years ago.
Is it worth it to put a new panel in and have everything rewired with new breakers?
Unfortunately, there are only a few rooms (4 bedrooms) that have any lights in them. I would love to put recessed lights in a few rooms and don't know if I go this route, whether it pays to update the panel? I guess it all comes down to cost. Down payment plus closing costs plus taxes plus escrow plus washer/dryer/fridge/dishwasher plus carpet plus paint plus movers plus new fish tank etc, has cost being a prohibitive factor.
Any thoughts?

pyro f/x

New panel costs vary by location. In chicago a electrician would charge at least $1200.00 to change a service. But your area may be cheaper. Adding "can" light's in the future doesn't mean you need a new panel as long as you can get breakers and have room for the new breakers. The above formula works for lites just fine amps = watts/volts (120), for motors use amps = volts / ohm's(resist.). The removal of the 30 amp 2-pole breaker will give you 2 new 1-pole spaces. the big questions are, can you get more breakers and can you add more if you need more than the 2 gained by pulling the 2-pole 30 if needed.

trompet3

Does anyone know if I might be able to get those breakers?
Can the current circuits handle adding the track lighting?
At $1200, I think I would pass. Obviously, I can always get an estimate, no harm. I'm just can't do that until the middle/end of the month because I don't move in until then!

trompet3

I know a handyman that I may have help out with some labor intensive stuff because I have 5 days to set up my in wall 240 and move everything over, plus paint walls and other misc. stuff before I start work. He charges $15 an hour, which I think is a steal. What's too bad is he only does "light electrical work". Oh well.

pyro f/x

you should be able to do a search for the panel manuf. which I thought was sylvania from the previous pic's. you could also pull the 30 amp and see if there are some numbers on it that may be helpful. As stated before in the thread there is no problem with the breakers adding up to more than the "main " total. You would have to draw a load larger than the main interupt rateing on any number of breakers before you would have any issue's and that doesn't happen very often. Use the formula amps = light wattage / 120 per bulb then multi. the total number of bulbs to find the current draw( a 100 watt incandecent bulb draws approx. .83 of a amp.) just remember to only use 80% of the interupt rateing or 12 amps (max 14 lights) on a 15 amp circuit. This really is light electrical if all you need is the breakers installed since you stated you could run all the wireing and trim all the devices yourself

farmboy

Another Idea if additional breakers are needed: You could use the double breaker slot to feed a smaller (and newer) breaker panel. Then you wouldn't be scrounging to find breakers for the older box.
I did something like this for a barn. We just needed a couple of lighting circuits. I found a 4 space sub panel at L*we's and used some double space "piggy back" breakers. I ended up with 4-110vac lighting circuits and 1-30 amp 220vac circuit--just in case.

trompet3

Why would you rewire the whole panel???
Just an idea if I was to update more than just this one or two circuits. I guess it's not such a good idea. I will see how easy it will be to find new breakers for this panel and if it is hard/expensive, then I will try the piggy back option to a sub panel.

acrylic51

Installing a panel and breakers wouldn't be as bad as what you thought... I was unsure till I had my brother in law so me and I'm to the point no where I don't even shut the power down to the box to drop another breaker in... You have to be carefull this way, but it's a snap....You shouldn't have any problems finding breakers for the box. Check HD or Lowes shouldn't be over $5.00 per breaker. Don't remember exact price but piggy backs weren't more then $10.00