Quick question, need quick answer!

harlequinnut

I just took down the wet dry filter to clean and I remember someone mentioning about leaving the bio-balls out of the wetdry filter and just run the filter without it. Does anyone know anything about it and do you recommend it? :help:

harlequinnut

Forget it, I just finish cleaning the wetdry and I put the bio-balls back in the filter. But if you still want to answer my question, you're welcome to cause there's always next time.

jasenhicks

Id take out the bioballs, mine just produces a crap ton of nitrates. Put some live rock rubble in the bottom, and jimmy rig a light to shine on it. Problem solved.

nazz13

Yeah but you might want to do it gradually not all at once because you dont want to shock the system.

squidd

While some would suggest LR "rubble" as a replacement for the balls in the W/D, I would suggest nothing at all...
Reason being the balls purpose is to provide surface area for the bacteria to grow and provide biological filtration...
That "purpose" in fulfilled by the LR (and sand) in the tank...
The problem with the balls is they can (being in an out of the way location) become a "trap" for deitrus, which then decomposes and "adds" to the NitrAte buildup in the tank...
My thought is that the LR rubble replacement will have the same effect if not cleaned often (as with balls)...
So by eliminating this deitrus "trap" from the system, you prevent the decomposition of mass quantities and resultant production of "excess" nitrate...
The "goal" is to keep the deitrus "suspended" oxygenated and available to be "broken down" by micro flora and fauna (different than "decomposing in a dark corner) and allow it to be removed ala skimmer and regular WCs as DOCs