Quick question on clam positioning

cgj

i forget the brand name but it was like 90 bucks for that realistic foam backer, which in retrospect wasnt the greatest idea, but it adds a certain something. The orange mass is actually a cluster of sun polyps.
There are probably at least 25 snails/hermit crabs. I had 6 emerald crabs and they died one after the other, except one large brutish one, who started picking my sun polyp, so he's gone now too.
2 percula clownfish, one royal gramma, 2 fire shrimp, and a purple lobster + queen conch. That sums it all up, I think.

chris&barb

if you have/have had copper wire in the tank i would definitely say that inverts are out of the question. copper is very toxic to them. copper will also bind to calcium carbonate surfaces so your LR and sand will slowly leach the copper back out killing any inverts over time

cgj

Copper wire removed. I can say ive had it in there for almost a year and havent lost any inverts, with the exception of physical damage from fighting, even the ones that tended to hang out in that area.

cgj

Although I did cut the wires cleanly, and then put some sealant on the end of each one, so Im guessing the copper in the plastic insulators never actually touched the water?

deltablack22

Originally Posted by CGJ
Although I did cut the wires cleanly, and then put some sealant on the end of each one, so Im guessing the copper in the plastic insulators never actually touched the water?
Probably not... Got lucky I guess.

cgj

I just bought his book on raising clams and he has a small web publication, he speaks about how its a pity clams dont have the same striking color when viewed from the front as opposed to directly above, and shows a pic of a custom "clam tank" with a slanted front glass that actually makes it similar to above viewing... anyone know where one of these can be found?
http://web.archive.org/web/200102111...ll/default.asp
NOTE: NOT A SALES WEBSITE.

hefner413

CGJ - Kinda hijacking this thread??
I would start a new thread, but this sounds like these would be more of a custom build - wouldn't be difficult though. And the idea does make sense. When I was at the Pittsburgh, PA aquarium last month - they have a huge clam in a display - the front glass is slanted like the fellas idea.

deltablack22

Originally Posted by Hefner413
CGJ - Kinda hijacking this thread??
I would start a new thread, but this sounds like these would be more of a custom build - wouldn't be difficult though. And the idea does make sense. When I was at the Pittsburgh, PA aquarium last month - they have a huge clam in a display - the front glass is slanted like the fellas idea.
How exactly can the OP hijack his own thread??? Not only is it his thread but the guy was still talking about clams.

hefner413

Originally Posted by DeltaBlack22
How exactly can the OP hijack his own thread??? Not only is it his thread but the guy was still talking about clams.

Ha! You're right
and actually, we were all on a tangent about his plane... anyway.. Delta - are you always such a nice guy?

dragonboy

Wow is that thing even reef safe assume if the plastic wasn't painted in harmful chemicals that would leech out into the tank. But it does look cool like a sunken historical plane from the war.

deltablack22

Originally Posted by Hefner413
Ha! You're right
and actually, we were all on a tangent about his plane... anyway.. Delta - are you always such a nice guy?
Yeah, usually people flock to me with my dry sarcastic humor...

cgj

Originally Posted by dragonboy
Wow is that thing even reef safe assume if the plastic wasn't painted in harmful chemicals that would leech out into the tank. But it does look cool like a sunken historical plane from the war.
Absolutely.. the inspiration was from numerous japanese/american planes that are featured in national geographic from time to time.
When i first put it in with barnacles glued to it, it did look rather lame, but now with the coralline, it is most impressive.

cgj

Alright... I went out yesterday and found a gorgeous electric blue crocea, about 2.2 inches long and had to have it. The dealer included the small slice of PVC it was sitting on in the display tank. The clam in the store was fully open under 250w, 14000k MH. ( I have the exact same lights) I bring it home and one hour later, its in my tank, on the wing of the aircraft like I had planned, still on the PVC... it turns out he has wrapped his byssus thread around it.
He did not like the location. I come back a few minutes later and he has propelled himself onto the sand in the front of the tank. I then turn him upright, and press the PVC into the sand leaving him upright. He repeatedly thrusts himself downward and I dont think he much likes that, so I put him on a rock in the tank roughly 5 inches off the floor, and 15 inches from the surface. he falls over, although im not sure if that was his dissapointment, or just poor balancing as he wasnt open. He ejected his byssus and is now independent of the pvc, I place him back on the wing and he's now seemingly content and fully open. He did contract and expand his mantle a few times over the course of an hour, but im guessing thats his way of flexing to let his byssus threads out...
He must have not liked the pvc piping, no?