quick question

tonyt26

a few months ago i put togethre a 50 gallon tank thay i used as a freshwater for about 2 years. well i added aquari- sol to it and dont know if it had copper in it. well as i was doing research i found that copper is a big non-no. as i realized it was to late i was wondering if adding a hang on whisper filter can help get out the copper. as of right know i have
50 lbs of live rock
40 lbs of ls.
1 rio 1200 ph
1 powersweep ph
1 cpr bak pak skimmer
2 cleaner shrimp
1 blue tail damsel
1 pc corallife 50/50 light 96 watts
i do weekly test and everything is in paramters. im just worried that when i try to add corals the copper might come back to hunt me. is tyhere anything i can do to make sure the copper is out and gone or im a just a!@ out? thats were im thinking the carbon might come in and help. i know i that i just added about 4 drops to 50 gallons but i have read that thats more then enough to ruin everything. like i said before my tank has ben up for about 3 and a half months and everything looks good just wondering if theres anything i can do? any info would be great and thanks ahead of time.:notsure:

T

tizzo

An option for you would be to go one step at a time. What I mean is, buy something sensative to copper that is cheap, like a snail. If it lives then try a 'shroom frag, and so on. You could test for copper, but you are testing the water. I believe there is still copper in the silicone and glass itself. So I don't think the actual test would help you much. The shrimp are sensative to copper (or so I thought) so maybe it would be safe to add a snail too.

tonyt26

sorry i forgot to mentio that i have 1 dozen turbo and i dozen nassuriuas. i aslo got like 8 or 9 hermits and 6 blue leg. they been in for two months and have been doing fine.

clarkiiboi

If the aquari- sol did contain copper, from my understanding there is no way that it can be removed. My suggestion is to find out the manufactors name and then do a web search, maybe there will be a site and a way to contact them there. Worth a shot. I dont know how long it would take for inverts to be affected (hours/days/months) if there would be copper in a tank, but 2 months later and all is well, hopefully you got lucky.

clarkiiboi

Ok, did a yahoo search using aquari-sol and alot of the sites said it does indeed contain copper. But you said you only used 4 drops to your 50 gal. This site (I think its ok to post it) says it takes 12 drops for every 10 gallons (so 60 drops should have been what you added at the time). So again with only adding 4 drops, maybe you got very lucky. Not sure, maybe this will bump you for others to ponder. HTH.