Quick Question

mommyfishy

Can buying a fishj from a LFS make your other fish sick. I bought a percula clown about two months ago and he was doing fine. Then I added another Percula to be his friend and it died a week after being in the tank. Now my other clown is dying. the only thing I can think is that the other clown I recently purchased was sick and made my old one sick.
Leetice

fishieness

not only is it possible but it happens very often. It doesnt mean that whatever is bothering your fish is definatly from your LFS, but that is a good place to start looking into. This is why it is important to only buy healthy fish and also to make sure that when transporting a fish from the bag to the tank, do not add any of the water from your LFS.

jerthunter

Just figured I'd chime in. I believe a lot of clownfish from the wild tend to have diease.
Also, I am sure other people will mention the importance of quarintining new fish.

brycewood

on the topic of a QT...
What is the cheapest option for a qt? I only run a 25 gal setup and I am only planning on 3-4 small fish. I will likely upgrade down the road, but I find this setup is great for a rental and a good trainer stetup. I just want to make sure I do things right as far as this.

francis

hi guys! just want to ask if it's possible for your fish to get sick after month or two, after adding the water from a lfs? thanks!

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Francis
hi guys! just want to ask if it's possible for your fish to get sick after month or two, after adding the water from a lfs? thanks!
IMO after a month or two later has passed, the water shouldn't bother your fish. I think they would show signs already when you first add the water in or in a few day period. But still, I would NEVER add any water from the LFS's tanks into my tanks. :happyfish

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Brycewood
on the topic of a QT...
What is the cheapest option for a qt? I only run a 25 gal setup and I am only planning on 3-4 small fish. I will likely upgrade down the road, but I find this setup is great for a rental and a good trainer stetup. I just want to make sure I do things right as far as this.
IMO a 10 gallon would do for you since you have small fish. Get some PVC tubing for them to hide in, I would get those T-connectors so you can check your fish for progress without having to move the tubing to get the fish out. And a heater, regular lighting, thermometer, and power head or air stone with pump(IMO). :happyfish

mommyfishy

Wow learn something new everyday. Okay so in a quarantine tank you just have LS and A filter and lights no LR or Corals or Hermits or anything.
Thanks for all the great advise guys and gals I really appreciate it.
Leetice

fishieness

sand is usualy not the best because a disease could settle in the sand until the next time you purchase a fish. The same thing with live rock. also if you decided to do hyposalinity due to ick or other diseases, it will pretty much kill everything on the live rock and sand anyways. the PVC is good because it provides a place for the fish to hide and take shelter, but doesnt obsorb harmful haterials or provides as a growing area for diseases.
The thigns you will need for a QT
-tank
-filter
-powerhead (a small one if the filter does not provide adiquate flow)
-heater
-PVC
-lights are okay, but you want to make sure that you leave it off for the first 24 hours after acclimating the fish to keep the fish stress free.
and definatly no corals or other things. the whole purpose of a QT is to put fish in an environment where they can be observed before entering your main tank. it would kinda take away the point to add other things in there with it.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by fishieness
sand is usualy not the best because a disease could settle in the sand until the next time you purchase a fish. The same thing with live rock. also if you decided to do hyposalinity due to ick or other diseases, it will pretty much kill everything on the live rock and sand anyways. the PVC is good because it provides a place for the fish to hide and take shelter, but doesnt obsorb harmful haterials or provides as a growing area for diseases.
The thigns you will need for a QT
-tank
-filter
-powerhead (a small one if the filter does not provide adiquate flow)
-heater
-PVC
-lights are okay, but you want to make sure that you leave it off for the first 24 hours after acclimating the fish to keep the fish stress free.
and definatly no corals or other things. the whole purpose of a QT is to put fish in an environment where they can be observed before entering your main tank. it would kinda take away the point to add other things in there with it.
My point exactly!!!