Quick question

srgvigil

So my 10 gallon qt has been cycling for over a month ack! I have the nitrifying bacteria stuff that you can add in to help it cycle faster (its nitrifying bacter that you put in the tank) I used the stuff on my main tank and my first qt setup and they cycled pretty fast. I figured I would try cycling this one without using the stuff. It's taking forever so as of last week I started using the stuff. And what do you know the levels are going down slowly. So my main question is on the bottle it says to add a teaspoon of it everday. What would happen if I just took the bottle and poured it all in? The bacteria is good for like only another 3 months anyways. I don't have any fish in the qt. What would happen if I just dumped it all in?

mkzimms

don't most of the bottles say nothing will happen if you overdose it? i would just use it as directed maybe a little more.

mike15

What is the product called?
I only ask because sometimes those products can have certain things in them that should not be overdosed. If you were to dump it all in, the water could become "too" concentrated either making the water nutrient-rich (stimulating algae growth) or cause some sort of die off (prolonging the cycling process). 10 gallons of water is a pretty fragile environment and overdosing in such a small system could cause major problems.
While that may not be the case, I recommend you stick to the directions. If you don't use it all, there is no shame in throwing it out. It would be much better to dispose of it than cause problems with the tank's cycling process. Hope this helps,
Mike15.