Quick RO water question

tngator19

I just started useing RO water and I am getting from the Culligan unit at Wal-Mart. Do I need to use chlorine drops or does the RO prosess get rid of chlorine. Thanks.

dhughesz28

Pour it right in?
The RO water I get from the LFS and Wal-Mart has a ph of around 5, dont you need to buff it first?

teen

i always just pour top off water in my tank, and i dont have problems. i probably should check the ph though.

drew2005

Originally Posted by dhughesz28
Pour it right in?
The RO water I get from the LFS and Wal-Mart has a ph of around 5, dont you need to buff it first?
Ive been using it for top off without any problems. I didnt initially fill the tank with it. But i have done quite a few water changes with it and my pH has been between 8.2 and 8.4. I never tested the water i get from Walmart.

dhughesz28

Wow really???? I believe you guys, but I know for a fact that the RO water I get from my LFS is around 5, he told me so and practically wouldn’t let me leave without buying some buffer. I got home and tested it, and sure enough it was around 5.2. Since then, I always test the pH before I put it in the tank.
Maybe the stability of your tanks is good enough that the lower pH of the top off doesn’t matter. I would have thought that even adding a few gallons of pH 5 water to a 50 or 100 gal tank would be enough to notice a change in pH.....

tthemadd1

I use kalk so I dont really have a problem. You are not replacing enough water to effect the ecosystem IMO. Get the test equipment though, you never know. Just remember that you have to test before the lights come on to get accurate measurement.