quick tank modification question

plumb4u2

Hey guys, just bought K-2 Viper metal halide fixture today for my 30g bow front as you can see in the pics the plastic strip at top of the tank is in the way creating unsightly reflection anybody know if it will be problem for me to cut it out.....thanks

I wouldn't mess with it. I'm sure its there to support the top of your tank. You wouldnt want water gushing out of your tank now would you?
Seriously, a lot of tanks are designed with that brace for a reason.

fibinotchi

I agree, I would suggest mounting the light off to the side or on the side. Actually if you didn't mind taking a chance, you could take a small metal rod and bend the ends down, cut out the center brace leaving a nice piece of plastic to drill a hole through on both the front and back of the tank, and put the bent down portion of the rod into each hole as a support. But the plastic may be brittle so if you try that be careful, the metal rod needs to be just the right size to just barely have pressure on it.

bmkj02

You would need to get another K-2 Viper metal halide fixture to deal with that problem. One on each side and then the shadow will be gone.

S

shrimpy brains

Originally Posted by Fibinotchi
http:///forum/post/3237804
I agree, I would suggest mounting the light off to the side or on the side. Actually if you didn't mind taking a chance, you could take a small metal rod and bend the ends down, cut out the center brace leaving a nice piece of plastic to drill a hole through on both the front and back of the tank, and put the bent down portion of the rod into each hole as a support. But the plastic may be brittle so if you try that be careful, the metal rod needs to be just the right size to just barely have pressure on it.
Not to start an arguement, but metal and saltwater are generally not a good combination!
I would add a second light. In the long run, that is the cheapest solution.