quick way to get bugs out of rocks??

cain420

yea i screwed up like a noob... put lr from a lfs in tank, not even payin attention to what was in it.. ive seen alot of good things but there are some i am skeptical about.. whats a good way to get rid of these and let my tank cycle??
i am an idiot!

jacknjill

well, what kind of "bugs " have you seen? most things are just fine. Its aptasia and mantis shrimp you most commonly have to worry about

cain420

well after seeing the hitchhiker id threads, i am paranoid, needless to say.. i threw 2 rocks from my tank into heavily salted water and a few things came out.. 1 crab, a few isopod-looking things..pic is below of that.. b4 i threw it in the water, i seen this creature: click here not sure if thats one at the top too, or the rest of its body.. had 2 orangish stripes near head, couldnt see much of it, but thats a big pic of it and a red arrow pointing to it.

mr_bill

Amphipod, you want those.

oh wait, i went to fast. Ok the thing in pic almost looks like jellys.
EDIT, does it move at all? light sensitive?

cain420

lol which pic u lookin at? the lil pic up there.. that thing has antenna's.. the big pic that u have to click to see.. it definately dont look jelly to me..
the thing in the big pic seemed to run away from me when i put the flashlight on it.. it may have just seen my face tho..

cain420

basically, how worried should i be?? i put like 56lbs of this rock in there.. it hasnt started cycling yet, thats how recent i did this.

olga

Cain? Are you sure its not some kind of overfed fat hair lice which accidently fell in your tank from you head and start to breed in hair algae? :thinking:

Don't put blame on "hitchhakers" or any alien life you might find in your tank. Its not fair.

olga

Originally Posted by cain420
did u click on the big pic?? what do u think that thing is???
Cain, I no idea what its on your big picture you posted link to. Its looks like something protruding from the hole. Can you get close to it, and actually take the picture of this "something" not whole LR?
I've tried to look on your home page of website, but it crashed my browser. Maybe its my computer, but I would not dare to go there again. :happyfish . Ok, I will try tomorrow! Bed time, its almost 5am here in Uk and I need to be up in 3 hours.

cain420

thats not my homepage, just a convenient spot to put such a big pic... but its takin a salt bath now, and had some boiling water poured in.. its still in the rock, whatever it is, i figured it woulda rushed out with all that salt i dumped in the water.. whatever it is, i hope it dies.. i hate surprises!

T

thomas712

Is this thread for real?
You guys don't recognize an amphipod.........I mean really...You don't?
Or did you mean the Eunicid worm hiding in the rock....Least thats my guess

Thomas

cain420

lol they all look alike to me
but whats that thing in the hole in the rock? id say some kind of worm, but it wouldnt come out and still wont even in a really really hot bath! if it is, would that be a bad worm??

T

thomas712

Can't tell without a proper id, but look up the Eunicid worm....I'm thinking you have at least one.

tscuda

Dont be killing anything till you know what it is. The big pic looks like it might be some kind of Aiptasia (pest anemomes) But the hot water should have killed it. Half the fun is sitting in front of the tank with a magnafying glass finding and id ing your hitch hikers.

cain420

yes i have figured that out, tscuda...lol i had just browsed thru the hitch hiker id threads and was in a panic! There is a big crab in there too tho.. saw him last night, but he didnt eat the dead shrimp - a good thing, i guess..

alyssia

Originally Posted by Thomas712
Is this thread for real?
You guys don't recognize an amphipod.........I mean really...You don't?
Or did you mean the Eunicid worm hiding in the rock....Least thats my guess

Thomas

Hey, I recognized it! You just beat me to posting!