Quickcrete Play Sand??

goldrush

Is this the stuff everyone is talking about? I picked up a bag at Home Depot.It's 50 lbs,called play sand,has a picture in orange of two kids playing in sandbox.Is this the "southdown" you are all talking about. Anyway the sand I now have is almost white.I want to build up the height an inch or two. I filled a 5 gal. tub with this sand and then added water from a water change to cover the top of it. Was going to let it "age a bit. Well the stuff is very dark brown,not what I was looking for. If I want the white sand am I going to have to buy the 20 lb. bags that Caribsea or one of the other sand sellers sells(say that 3 times fast). Just curious,I do want more of a white color and this isn't going to work.

logan15

you didnt buy southdown:( When I went to homedepot they were out and I got this other stuff that was off white but it went in my fuge so it dint bother me.You could go to home depot and ask them if they have any or could order you can
Hope This Helps,
Logan

cboyfan2020

Quilrete sand is silica sand, not Southdown. Southdown sand says "southdown tropical play sand--from the caribean" It is an aragonite sand just like Caribsea but 200% cheaper. it is only available on the east coast primarily which you are on. Just call around to all the home depots in the area( maybe as far as 100miles away) and ask them if they carry it. I can get you the SKU# if you want. It usually helps locate it.

rane

What you brought wasnt the southdown, it was quickrete playsand (sp) the southdown is only found in limited home depots and its white sand also it comes in a bag it says tropicalplay sand in red letters and the bag is blue

goldrush

Thank you all.I guess this goes in the sandbox. Anyone in Connecticut know if there is a Home Depot that carries Southdown?

slick

I used the brown quickrete play sand in my tank. Then put white caribsea ls over it. It will work just fine if you can live with the 2 tone color. You have the white so there won't be a color diff. And quickrete sand is not always silica sand.

cboyfan2020

silicates are what diatoms as well as other algae feed on. People who use silica sand usually have algae problems although these can come from a number of things other than just silicates. Some people do fine with it and some don't. I dont recommend it myself.

slick

Hey what is glass made from? Thats right silica sand. It will not cause diatom problems.

foulbrew

My experience supports what Kipass4130 and Slick are saying. I have used pure silica sandblasting sand in my tank for years with no harm. It is more of a very light tan in color - not as white as Southdown or Carib-Sea. I have had no diatom problems and have had no detectable amounts of silicates leaching from the sand.

cboyfan2020

I think I got it...thanks. So the sandblasting sand I passed on would have been fine and no algae bloom? Man, I am gonna pay $15 and a trip to OKC for some southdown already. Oh well

saltym3

Originally posted by cboyfan2020
Quilrete sand is silica sand, not Southdown. Southdown sand says "southdown tropical play sand--from the caribean" It is an aragonite sand just like Caribsea but 200% cheaper. it is only available on the east coast primarily which you are on. Just call around to all the home depots in the area( maybe as far as 100miles away) and ask them if they carry it. I can get you the SKU# if you want. It usually helps locate it.

can you post the SKU for the southdown? Im having a hard time finding it in FL.

cboyfan2020

sku# 578-819
BEWARE!!!!----This is a universal SKU# for 5 different types of play sand . 4 are NOT southdown and are very different. You need to use this SKU # and be sure to tell them it is sand made by Southdown that you are looking for. It(southdown) is also called Yard Right playsand in some areas.

cboyfan2020

The number for Southdown Sales and Customer Service (located in Easton, PA) is 800-526-1753. They sell pallets to the public but can be kind of a PIA and DO NOT TALL THEM IT IS FOR AN AQUARIUM!!!!!!!

fshhub

southdown probably is not avialable in florida, unfortunately
HD does sell another brand of aragonite sand, it is labeled caribean palysandor something liek that, if that one is not available, then get quickrete or another type of silica sand, you will be fine
silica sand does not cause a diatom bloom, but many tanks do experience them, even when using southdown or live sand. It is jsut part of the maturing process. And often can be corrected by toying around with your powerheads and circulation, providing all water parameters are in line.

fshhub

Silicon, Silica, Silicates and Silicone
People get confused about the differences between silicon, silicate, silica and even silicone. What is it exactly that we collect, cut and polish??
Silicon is a chemical element, one of the 97 natural building blocks from which our minerals are formed. A chemical element is a substance that can't be subdivided into simple substances without splitting atoms. Silicon is the second most abundant element in the earth's crust, making up about 27% of the average rock. Silicon links up with oxygen (which makes up 55% of the earth's crust) to form the most common suite of minerals, called the silicates. Quartz, feldspars, olivine, micas, thomsonite, jadeite, and prehnite are all silicates. There is so much oxygen around that pure native silicon is almost never found naturally.
Silica is a bit trickier concept. It refers the combination of silicon plus oxygen. The mineral quartz is silica. But so are the minerals tridymite, coesite, cristobalite and stishovite which are mineral forms of silica that are stable at high temperatures and pressures. All these minerals are also silicates. In other words, quartz is a silicate made of pure silica. But feldspars contain sodium, aluminum, potassium and calcium in addition to silicon and oxygen. Thus feldspars are silicates but they aren't pure silica.
Geochemists also use the term "silica" to refer to the overall silicon and oxygen content of rocks. This is confusing, but stems from the fact that in rock analysis and sample is dissolved, the solution treated, and the amount of silicon present is determined by precipitating it as silica. So a geologist may say "This rock is 48% silica". A rockhound will look at the rock and say "How can that be? I don't see any quartz in it!" Both are right. The rock will not have the mineral quartz because the silicon and oxygen are tied up with other elements to make silicate minerals like feldspar. Its a bit like looking at a cake and saying "I don't see any eggs in there!" The eggs are cake ingredients but are present now in different forms.
Now, what is silicone? Its a synthetic polymer of silicon with carbon and oxygen that could be in solid, liquid or gel form. It has all kinds of medical uses, such as in antacids, artificial joints, pacemakers and implants of various notoriety, but is not, as far as anyone knows, found in rocks.
Can pure silicon be found in Nature? Yes, rarely. Recently Russian geologists were sampling gasses from Kudriavy volcano on the Kamchatka Peninsula. Here they drove quartz tubes into vents jetting out gases of over 900 degrees C. Their tubes filled with minerals precipitating from this gas. Among them were pure silicon metal embedded in masses of salts such as halite. The silicon formed crystals up to 0.3 mm across. It was associated with pure aluminum metal, Si-Al alloys and other rare minerals. This find was unusual enough to warrant a note in the prestigious science journal, Nature.
So unless you are in Russia sampling hot volcanic gases, you can be sure that what you are finding are silica and silicates, but not silicon or silicone.
-Dr. Bill Cordua, U. Wisconsin- River Falls
Reference:
Korzhinsky, M.A., et. al., 1995, "Native Al and Si Formation", Nature, vol. 375, p. 544.
silica will not leech silicates. Kinda like saying water will leech Kool Aid