quickest way to remove nitrates?

scott79

About every 3 days im doing a 25 % water change. Is there something else i could do to bring my nitrate leve down?????

nordy

As noted above, major water changes will indeed bring your nitrate levels down in short order, The more important issue is to figure out why your nitrate levels are high. If you have been neglecting to do regular water changes, then it's pretty straight forward what you need to do to keep them down. If that's not the main cause of your high nitrate levels, then as nycbob said, more live rock and less feeding will help. Overfeeding may be the #1 cause of high nitrate levels-we all love to see out tank inhabitants get active and respond to us when we feed, but uneaten food and the fish poop produced by excessive feeding, will really shoot your nitrates through the roof, especially if you do not have enough biological filtration (means more LR, and an adequate sump filtration system and/or some macroalgae).

scott79

thanks for all the input. i figured out the main cause was my filter. i have an eheim canister filter.i have nooo idea how to work it, because i have these two ladies come and do the whole filter things. (i do everything else, like waterchanges etc.) well anyways, i finally figured out how to open the freakin thing, and the filters were discusting. they have not cleaned them in foreverrrr!!! i cleaned them and now my tank seems brighter and cleaner!! BTW we fired the ladies. hahaha

rcoultas

The BEST way to lower nitrates is water changes and source elimination. The "quickest" way is to simply break the glass
kidding obviously - although we've all probably felt that way at one point.

florida joe

Sometimes the quickest way is not the best. We all strive to maintain the most natural environment for our tanks. Nitrates are the end product of nitrification. Water changes are not the natural progression in denitrification. Look into stimulating the growth of anaerobic bacterial for dissimilatory nitrate reduction as well as algae for nitrate assimilation and you will be moving closer to a more natural environment for you tank inhabitants. Of course this is just IMO