quickrete sand

scubasteve

Yes another sand question. Has anyone ever used quickrete sand as just filler sand? It's only $5 for a 50lb bag at home depot. I couldn't get much info off the bag (but this isn't the stuff to mix and make concrete, it's advertised as sandbox sand). I'm still working on the 300 gallon, and i don't want to pay a fortune for the sand bed. Any suggestions? Thanks.

sw65galma

see if you can find a local Sand and gravel quary that has aragonite sand. One person on here got 700lbs for $5.00 in Florida. They are usually Self serve if they let you.. But WELL worth it.
Good luck on your 300, I'm setting up a 300 as well.

aiber

Where in Florida? I have called several places that sell sand and when I say "aragonite sand", they have no idea what I am talking about.
Please help

scubasteve

SW65: Thanks for the advice, Ill call around.
jenn: I'm also curious as to how long you've had the setup and how everything is doing.

aiber

Anyone seen the playsand from Wal mart? It fizzled a little after the vinegar test.
Comments appreciated

jenn-e

I just switched to the sand about a month ago. So far so good, i also added a little live sand that i'm pretty sure was agraonite(sp?), but only about a pound. I read on this board somewhere that quickrete sand is silica based instead of agraonite, but that many people have had sucess with it. I just read that the other day, try doing a search.:yes: I am happy with the sand and i think it looks good, it seems a little smaller grain than the live sand i added, but the critters are going all through it so IMO it's ok.