Quietest overflow options

fish fry

Hey everyone,
I'm looking for the quietest possible overflow for a new tank. I assume that a drilled tank would be quieter then a overflow box correct?
I've used a ball valve to silence my overflow in the past, it help but it was still louder than I would have liked.
It is supposed to be a relaxing hobby, listening to a jet engine taking off is not relaxing?
Any suggestions?

von_rahvin

on a drilled tank, raise the intake of the tank to sump. My drilled tank is 24" tall, and i have a 22.5 ink intake. there is then none if the "waterfall" noise.
another thing is to cover it. this being the ovrflow. it made mine lots quieter

fish fry

Rob I like that idea but if I put the sump under the tank that won't be possible right?
Also I meant to post this under the equipment section so if any moderator wants to move....thanks
Tom

ironreef

There are quiet overflows you need to modify them . My 1500gph you can barely hear. I will send you links if you want. They are duraso and stockton mods. I have the links if you can't find them. sometimes it takes awhile to get them quiet but I did mine in oneday.

johnnysalt

Car guy hasn't tried the diy standpipe project yet!! :D
Fish Fry I sent you some pics too...let me know if you have any ?'s.....project cost less than $5! No more gurgling!
:cool:

fish fry

Ironreef & Johnny Salt thank you for sending me the links. You guys both actually sent the same link. :)
Quite impresive, I'm so excited I might be able to set up a quiet tank.
Now to worry about the pumps? ;-(
The designs look easy enough to follow (Knock on wood)
Thanks again
Tom