quieting return pump

chilwil84

i am using a mag 9.5 as a return pump and it will be submersed in the sump. whats a good way to quiet any vibrations it will make on the glass?

grumpygils

Originally Posted by chilwil84
i am using a mag 9.5 as a return pump and it will be submersed in the sump. whats a good way to quiet any vibrations it will make on the glass?

Doesn't it come with a suction cup platform? Best bet is to make one if it doesn't. You can use old heater suction cups.
Mc

chilwil84

the 9.5 and up change shape from the smaller one and doesnt have a platform. i was thinking of glues some eggcrate to it anyone know what besides suction cups that are rubber that can be safely put in a reef tank

al mc

You could 'super glue' some pink foam insulation directly to the bottom...just use enough to cover the bottom..if you use too much you might actually have the pump float.

The pink foam is styrofoam, about 1/4" thick. Get at your favorite hardware store.

al mc

Foam is reef safe, but the suggestion of filter material is good, but since it is porous and will accumulate debris it will need to be changed periodically.

wattsupdoc

Rubber band an old piece of sponge filter under it. Done deal. You can rinse it when you remove the pump for cleaning. Pods will live in it and get sucked right up to the great tank in the sky!