R/O from stores " drinking r/o "

gun freak

Anybody get there R/O drinking water for there saltwater tanks ,in what store is good place to get "the machines in front of the store type " tried publix but i don't know !!!:notsure:
Thanks...

golfish

Just remember that the water in the machines is for drinking not for reef tanks. The TDS will be higher..Have you checked your LFS.
Its probably better then using tap water but not what I would use in my reef.

nm reef

RO could be a decent source(much better than tap) but I'd insure the source is reliable. A ro/di system can pay for itself over time and is a much better water source...but I'd go with a local source of RO if nothing else is available. I purchase ro/di from a local company that previously had only RO for drinking water(and ice production). The owner is also a hobbyist and a few years ago started selling RO/DI to folks in need of a quality water for aquarium use. It seems I've always considered a RO/DI unit at the house but never have got around to it. I just get 12- 5 gal containers filled about every 10 days or so...it does help that the owner gives me a discount(.15 per gal is all I pay) the going rate to others is .30 per gal.:thinking:
The places that scare me are the vending machines folk use for RO drinking water...there are a few in town and I've always wondered if the filters are ever checked? I know the owner of my source and believe he stays on top of things real well...at least I trust that he does...the vending machines I have no trust in at all!

gun freak

Ok so which R/O unit should i buy it's for a 29 GAL tank ?
I though people had good luck with water for walmart !!!:thinking:

nm reef

I wouldn't know about water from Wal-Mart...as a rule I tend to avoid doing any business with that place. Just a personal thing with me......
As for what RO unit to buy....there are countless options to choose from. I'd suggest a search for either RO... or RO/DI and start comparing cost and function of each. For a 29 gal system you wouldn't need a very large(gal per day) unit.

nm reef

Just to give you a rough idea I'm considering purchasing a SpectraPure 4-stage 25 gal per day unit for just under $200....maybe that'll give you a starting point. SpectraPure seems to be a reliable and widely used product. Maybe try a google search for SpectraPure RO/DI units and go from there.