R/O waste shut off valve????

robw

I just hooked up my new R/O setup. It took a while to get through the system, which is understandable, however, I've noticed that when I close the waste water valve to "almost closed" I get a little better flow of R/O water. I know the waste water flow is needed to keep the membrane flushed,but how much? Would'nt the restriction cause more pressure on the membrane, causing more R/O water to flow through? Can you safely adjust the waste water to achieve a happy medium? I did'nt get any documentation with the setup, so I'm looking for some advice.....anybody?

hkgar

Your waste water flow should be 3 to 5 times that of your pure water. I measure mine by timing how long it takes each to fill 1/4 cup. 30 to 50 seconds for the pure water and 10 seconds for the waste water.
Hope this helps.

bang guy

If you shut the valve too much the RO membrane will clog & shut down. If you set it open too far you're wasting water. Like hkgar states, 5:1 is a good waste/good ratio.

robw

thanks guys.... i figured there was some setup involved, just was'nt sure of what and how to do it. great tips.

dogstar

Your system should have an automatic flow restrictor already inline on the drain sized for the gpd rate of the membrain so no adjustment is needed on the drain. well mine did.