Raccoon and long nosed butterfly fish?

row

Can anyone tell me why these fish are not considered reef safe? In the description it says they roam around they reef and they eat clam and shrimp and the longnose eats worms, and the raccoon will eat aipstasia. Are they extremely aggressive, eat corals or inverts? I appreciate any information.
I was just looking at a dwarf fuzzy lion fish too. Are these reef safe? I have a cleaner shrimp and a CBS. As far as fish I have a coral beauty.

N

nereef

motile inverts with any size probably won't be touched. your shrimp will be fine. feather dusters and some corals will be eaten by the butterflyfishes.
a fuzzy dwarf will be the opposite. shrimp will be a meal and corals won't be harmed.

sepulatian

Raccoons are unsafe with most corals and inverts. Longnoses ignore most, but have been reported to eat stony and soft corals in the wild. They will also feed on feather dusters, urchin tubes (feet). I would opt for the fuzzy. He will only bother a cleaner shrimp. I had a fuzzy in with crabs, he could not care less. If you would like a cleaner, get a neon goby.

bullitr

If you would like a cleaner, get a neon goby.
i apologized in advanced but neon will be fish food to for the fuzzy and they don't last more than 2 weeks at least imo.i loss too many neon gobies in my tank maybe if you have nano tank less than 40 g ,because they get lost in a big tank . imo shimp are better cleaner than anything than i ever had.from 9 different on cleaner wrasses ( red sea and asia), 8 neon gobies i loss it in a less than a week in several ocassion.on the on the other hand i only lost 1 shimp because i drop a rock on it . i have my cleaner shimps for almost a year now and doing very very well

sepulatian

Originally Posted by bullitr
If you would like a cleaner, get a neon goby.
i apologized in advanced but neon will be fish food to for the fuzzy and they don't last more than 2 weeks at least imo.i loss too many neon gobies in my tank maybe if you have nano tank less than 40 g ,because they get lost in a big tank . imo shimp are better cleaner than anything than i ever had.from 9 different on cleaner wrasses ( red sea and asia), 8 neon gobies i loss it in a less than a week in several ocassion.on the on the other hand i only lost 1 shimp because i drop a rock on it . i have my cleaner shimps for almost a year now and doing very very well
The neons have to be introduced before the fuzzy. This is a 125, I assure you, the will be fine.

row

Thanks for the info. I just bought a fuzzy today and got him in my QT. So you dont think he will bother my Coral Banded Shrimp, just my cleaner? I told the LFS I would bring in the CBS and cleaner for store credit in a few weeks after I get the lion fish into my DT.

seattle

Buy Yellow-Longnose young if you want a reef-safe Butterflyfish,cause quite a few young Butterfly species don't know that coral is edible until they taste-test,not*so don't take a tiny frag and feed it to your Butterfly
Longfin Bannerfish,Yellow Pyramid Zoster,Very Longnose,Longnose,Rosy Longnose,and Copperbands,and if you have only soft corals,Fremblii another great option for reef-safe butterflies.Pyramid and Longfin 100% Reef Safe!
Raccons are 100% non-reef-safe! Longnoses are a 50/50chance.

row

Thanks for the reply. My LFS has a copperbanded in their frag tank, so I assume he is reef safe.

seattle

Yes,Copperbands are most of the time reef-safe.It is probley the most often seen butterflyfish in reef tanks.But there are SOME people here that think if somebody had a mistake on one once,they are impossible to keep.They usually do eat heartily.I would get one and ask them to feed it 1st cause some sometimes don't eat.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Seattle
Buy Yellow-Longnose young if you want a reef-safe Butterflyfish,cause quite a few young Butterfly species don't know that coral is edible until they taste-test,not*so don't take a tiny frag and feed it to your Butterfly
Longfin Bannerfish,Yellow Pyramid Zoster,Very Longnose,Longnose,Rosy Longnose,and Copperbands,and if you have only soft corals,Fremblii another great option for reef-safe butterflies.Pyramid and Longfin 100% Reef Safe!
Raccons are 100% non-reef-safe! Longnoses are a 50/50chance.
I think we have to ask how old this system is, how much and how old is the rock, and what sized tank before we recommend any butterfly. Butterflies do not do well at all in newer systems.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Seattle
Yes,Copperbands are most of the time reef-safe.It is probley the most often seen butterflyfish in reef tanks.But there are SOME people here that think if somebody had a mistake on one once,they are impossible to keep.They usually do eat heartily.I would get one and ask them to feed it 1st cause some sometimes don't eat.

I would have to slightly disagree here. Copperbands have a very uneven record as far as heartiness in a tank. Some take to feeding right away, others will starve to death no matter what you feed them. A lot depends on the tank maturity and suitibility within the tank. Sometimes the conditions are perfect and the fish still withers away.

row

Thanks for the replies. I just bought a fuzzy dwarf lion on Sat. So its going to be at least another 3 weeks before I get another fish. My tanks has been up for about 5 months. It is a 55 gal. I have a coral beauty and now the lion, I was thinking of trying either a copperband or a foxface.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ROW
Thanks for the replies. I just bought a fuzzy dwarf lion on Sat. So its going to be at least another 3 weeks before I get another fish. My tanks has been up for about 5 months. It is a 55 gal. I have a coral beauty and now the lion, I was thinking of trying either a copperband or a foxface.
With the bioload of a fuzzy, I would not put either one in. Foxfaces get way too large for a 55 even if it were the only fish in there. Copperbands reach 7.9" and all butterflies need excellent water conditions. You may want to consider another kind of fish for your tank besides a butterfly.