Racoon Butterfly Wont Eat

conejo

My Racoon Butterfly Doesnt Want To Eat, He´s In Q.t. Now Since One Week When I Bought It. What Should I Try? Could The Problem Be That He´s In A Small Q.t? Thats 5 Gals.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by CONEJO
http:///forum/post/2490701
My Racoon Butterfly Doesnt Want To Eat, He´s In Q.t. Now Since One Week When I Bought It. What Should I Try? Could The Problem Be That He´s In A Small Q.t? Thats 5 Gals.
Welcome to the boards!! Five gallons is rather small, but if that is all that you have cycled then it will have to do. The problem with raccoons is that they will either eat or they just will not. Is this guy small? It is suggested to buy a small, cheap, anemone to get them to eat. I would not go that route just yet. What have you tried to get him to eat? The standard flakes and pellets will not do for this fish.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2490744
Thanks, I Gave Him Brine, Mysis, Prawn Eggs, And Black Worms...and He Is 3 Or 4 Inches.
Buy some frozen formula foods, preferably without the gel binder, for butterflies. They like meaty foods. You can pick up some live ghost shrimp to get him eating. These fish love inverts. I do hope that your display is not a reef.

conejo

Thanks Man; He´s Eating Aaalllloootttt Now! Thanks 4 The Advice! He´s Now Eating Live Black Worm´s. I Got The Cleaner Shrimp In The Q.t. And Got Rid Of Some Parasites So Now He Seems To Be Ok And Very Hungry. Thanks.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2492445
Thanks Man; He´s Eating Aaalllloootttt Now! Thanks 4 The Advice! He´s Now Eating Live Black Worm´s. I Got The Cleaner Shrimp In The Q.t. And Got Rid Of Some Parasites So Now He Seems To Be Ok And Very Hungry. Thanks.
Did he have parasites on him before? A cleaner shrimp will not rid any tank of parasites. I am glad that he is eating for you. Is there a situation going on that needs to be addressed in the tank?

conejo

Yeah; My Tank Has Ick, I Saw Some White Salt Grain On His Skin Yesterday, (sorry; I Wasnt Able To Post Anything Back Cause I Had No Internet) And I Saw Those Same Spots On Other Fish (a Blue Hippo)like Two Weeks Ago. I Have Hermits And Shrimps On My Tank. And I Only Have A 5 Gal Q.t. The Problem Is That I Think That If I Put The 4 Inch Racoon With The Other Fish I Have In That Q.t.tank I Think It Will Feel Stressed. I Have Only 4 Fish In That Tank( Clown 2¨, Hippo-2¨, Racoon-4¨, Yellow Watchman-1¨) So What Can I Do? I Have A Cleaner Shrimp That Helps Relieve The Pain...but I Know It Wont Get Rid Of It.
And One Question; I Know That Ick Only Sticks To Fish That Are Stressed, And I Know That Sooner Or Later I Could Be Introducing (supposing I Do Something The Wrong Way) Ick Again To My Tank; Is It Posible To Mantain The Tank So Healthy That My Fish Wont Get Ick And Let The Ick Die?
I Will Apreciate Every Answer Very Much, Thanks.

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2494786
Yeah; My Tank Has Ick, I Saw Some White Salt Grain On His Skin Yesterday, (sorry; I Wasnt Able To Post Anything Back Cause I Had No Internet) And I Saw Those Same Spots On Other Fish (a Blue Hippo)like Two Weeks Ago. I Have Hermits And Shrimps On My Tank. And I Only Have A 5 Gal Q.t. The Problem Is That I Think That If I Put The 4 Inch Racoon With The Other Fish I Have In That Q.t.tank I Think It Will Feel Stressed. I Have Only 4 Fish In That Tank( Clown 2¨, Hippo-2¨, Racoon-4¨, Yellow Watchman-1¨) So What Can I Do? I Have A Cleaner Shrimp That Helps Relieve The Pain...but I Know It Wont Get Rid Of It.
And One Question; I Know That Ick Only Sticks To Fish That Are Stressed, And I Know That Sooner Or Later I Could Be Introducing (supposing I Do Something The Wrong Way) Ick Again To My Tank; Is It Posible To Mantain The Tank So Healthy That My Fish Wont Get Ick And Let The Ick Die?
I Will Apreciate Every Answer Very Much, Thanks.
The butterfly has ich in the qt and the display has ich? Ich will have to be removed from the tank. What inverts do you have? Can you set up a rubber maid tub for your LR and inverts? You can perform hyposalinity on the display. Be sure to quarantine all new purchases for at least three weeks to keep this from happening again.