Radiata Lionfish

nimo1969

Hi everyone I just get Radiata lionfish with 45 lbs of live rock in 50gls tank .The tank is cycled and I have question on feeding him ? The lfs feed him live goupies and I know live fish is not good . What about ghost shrimp ( freshwater)? . What can i feed him ? and ideas please
:help:
Thank you

NIMO1969

aw2x3

Krill, shrimp, fish, squid, octo...to name just a few frozen foods he'll eat.
If it's not already eating frozen, you may need to feed gut loaded Ghost Shimp, until you can get it weened to frozen.

mag395

Live fish are fine but it may not eat them at first. It will eat freshwater ghost shrimp though. On a side note, the shrimp can stay alive in the bag for much longer than I had thought. About 2 weeks. If not eaten they can survive for about 2-3 days in the tank.

nimo1969

I feed them small rosey red ( feeder fish ) tonight he eat all 6. Is it hard to switch him in to frozen ? How do you start? How many ghost shrimp are to many ? How often doo I feed him ?

v-lioness

I try not to encourage Live feeders unless necessary.
Radiatas can be tough but have patience with this lion, it can be done. Pick up a feeder stick from your LFS and try Silversides, Krill, Frozen Sand Eels at first. When this lion does adapt to frozen foods variety is best, Octo, Squid, Raw Shrimp and so on...... Soak your foods in Vitamins......
Here is the lion info sheet you may want to read, it is worth taking a look at and this will help guide you

[hr]
> http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php
Happy Reading,
Kaye

nimo1969

thanks for the link ( I read it ) raw shrimp that would be fine but I have to make it move ? What are the best ways to weened the lionfish from live to frozen ?

v-lioness

I would start with either Krill, Silversides or Frozen sand eels (foods with eyes....lol) from your LFS first. Try one of these on a feeder stick. I have started everyone of my lions out this way than changed them over once they adapted to frozen.
Kaye

v-lioness

I have had no problems with the feeder stick and my lions, patience is the key with this lion, take it slow and let it adapt to it's new surroundings. Good Luck!
Kaye

aw2x3

There's not a good, healthy supply of live foods to feed them, so there wont be any "top 5 live foods" list.
You really should, at first chance, get it over to frozen foods.
If it's being stubborn, feed gut loaded Ghost Shrimp.

nimo1969

He eat 4 Ghost shrimp and now he is on the live rock ( relaxing) .The lfs give him live fish and he seems to eat fish faster then he did ghost shrimp? I plan to feed him twice a week only 10ghost shrimp total .Patience is the key with this lion, take it slow and let it adapt to it's new surroundings.
thanks