radiation from x-rays affect fish?

fugu

would anyone have any information on whether fish are affected by radiation from x-rays?
i ask because i was planning on hand carying fish from thailand. there is a xray machine that you have to pass to board the aircraft. would the gamma radiation affect the fish, i know someone who has previously done this and the stock is so far fine.
any help would be appreciated.

playtime

Wow, your going to Thialand. I am not sure but I should say that when fish is delivered from this site, it has to be flown ( I live in California) and my shipment was fine and I am sure others will say the same. As far as long term effects, I really don't know. Wow!! YOur going to Thialand. Have a great trip.
Playtime

fugu

thanks i try and go about four times a year, i go to phi phi island and phi phi lei which is where they filmed the 'beach' it is unbelievable to see so many marine specimens in the wild.
but i still dont know about the xrays. thankyou for posting though as i stated all help is allways appreciated.

@knight

only problem I could think of is with US Customs, theyre pretty big sticklers on that kind of stuff. I came back from south america, and would not let me carry oranges.
I would check the American Embasy before you get the fish to the states and find out it will be destroyed.

yvetterich

Just fyi:
The amount of radiation produced in one of those xray machines at the airport is very minimal. The fish should be fine. Also, there is no gamma radiation produced from xary machines, just x-rays. Gamma would be from outer space i.e. the sun. :D
How do I know this?
I'm a CAT scan technologist!

coop21

As an x-ray tech., I can back up yvetterich's post. Your microwave gives off more radiation than those machines. (please don't ever microwave a fish.) Have a good trip.

fugu

thankyou to everyone for posting. and yes the customs here just want money if they catch you.as for the USA they will not allow anything alive to enter the country.thenks for the info on gamma radiation.