Rain X

dive1

I had been having problems with salt haze on outside of glass...I would windex it to death...another reefer said he used rain x and I am giving it a try. So far it really looks good. Anyone else trying this. What results have you had. When I get in the tank water that is dripped just runs off and a small wipe later ...presto...hope it stays that way. :D

buzz

The haze you see may actually BE from the windex. I will not put anything other than water on my tank to clean it. No chemicals.

T

thomas712

Been using water and vinegar on the outside of mine, come to think about it I use vinegar in my tank too.
Thomas

T

thomas712

Originally posted by Kipass4130
been reading more about vinegar thomas... it is supposed to be good for low NO3s too... it feeds the de-NO3 bacteria in the rock and sand by offering organic carbon as diluted acetic acid... been reading from Farley edit
... it was actualy Dr. Bingman... Holmes-Farley suggested the reading

Kip Would that be available with a search, over there? Like just type in vinegar or something?
birdsall12@chartermi.net

T

thomas712

Ok read it, interesting and if nothing else it backs up what we have already been doing, plus give us a couple other options for the carbon source, I'm sure we will stick with what we are using.
The article seemed to say that it does not adversly affect the reef system, now I have heard or remember that if there is a nutrient problem in the tank that additions of vinegar may be feeding the system. Now given my recent water change problem I have a nutrient problem. There is hair algea on the rocks, glass and substrate. My good ole friend bubble algea is also growing very well, not just on the rocks but now in the substrate as well inside the hair algea. No I wondered if using the vinegar was contributing to this algea so I stopped using it for a few days, then I used only 15 mil which is half of what I was using according to the article from our kalk useres talk.
My question would be have you noticed any adverse algea reactions by using vinegar? or have you read where the use of the vinegar could do this?
Thomas