raise your own food?

longbow

Has any one had experence with raiseing Brine shrimp. Iwas looking at a site Florida Aqua Farms,inc. I'm new to saltwater and was curious if someone had done this?

hillbilly

Hatching and raising brine is easy. All you need is a container such as a 5 gal aquarium or even a quart jar and an air pump with stone large enough to provide Very Brisk airation.
Non Iodized table salt can be used to mix the water. Pulverized flake food will do for feeding them.
Hillbilly

kelly

longbow,
I found a great article when searching in yahoo. just search on raising brine shrimp and read the first article. The author says "My 12 - 18 year old students can make it work the first try", so check it out.
Kelly

kelly

longbow,
Sorry I forgot, welcome to the board!!! This is a great place to be. There are many extremely knowledgeable people here. I am sure you will enjoy you time here as many of us do.
Kelly

S

schroder_reef

I've heard that raising your own brine shrimp is a stinky job, I don't know that from experience, so don't take my word for it... But thats what I heard.. :p

nasotang00

I was going to try this a while back but by popular demand, most people I talked to, say it is a pain in the ***. I don't think it is worth the trouble. This is just my opinion though. Good luck if you decide to do it.

von_rahvin

i did it for a while. honestly it depends on what your time is worth. here you can buy a bag full o live brine for 1 dollar. so i buy a few bags and dump them into a 10 gallon. when they are gone i start it over.