raising salinty levels

roggy23

i just measures my 60g display tank and my salinity levels are only at 1.022.
ive been raising my QT salinty from hypo and im now at 1.016.
are water changes the only way to increase salinty. I was originally taking
display tank water to increase my salinity in my QT but it seems like its too low in my DT to get my QT tank up to levels of 1.025-1.027.
Any suggestions?

elfdoctors

I'm back from a quick conference/vacation in Arizona. Glad to hear that your fish must be doing okay as you are increasing your salinity. How are your puffer's fins?
There are only three ways to increase salinity to an established tank - 1) Adding water with a higher salinity, 2) evaporation, or 3) adding salt.
The safest two are the first two options. You can mix saltwater up to about a specific gravity of 1.030. Going any higher risks certain minerals (especially calcium) precipitating out which would change your water chemistries. Evaporation is the slowest but is also the safest. It is usually recommended not to add salt directly into the tank. Some people can get away with this by adding small quantities slowly into an area of rapid current (similar to the way that some people add their salt creep back to the tank). Whatever method you use, don't increase it rapidly.
As soon as your specific gravity gets up to the salinity in your display tank you can add your fish back into the display. After that I would recommend adding saltwater instead of freshwater for topoffs and let the specific gravity come up gradually.

roggy23

ok.
now, since my main tank is only at 1.022 would it be ok to get my QT only to at 1.022 then add my fish back to my MT and have it increase in my MT??

elfdoctors

Originally posted by roggy23
ok.
now, since my main tank is only at 1.022 would it be ok to get my QT only to at 1.022 then add my fish back to my MT and have it increase in my MT??

:yes: