Random Assortment of Observations and Questions

Wasdal052

New to the hobby, this forum has been really useful in both directly answering my questions and also for reading through past threads to gain knowledge. I started cycling my tank in early December. Thirty-six gallon bowfront tank with a canister filter (I know, I know...I'll get to this in a minute). Cycled with live rock and sand for about 8 weeks and then introduced a clean-up crew. Water changes (~20%) every two weeks since the cycle ended, clean the filter every week. My stock currently includes:

1 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Peppermint Shrimp
~10-12 hermit crabs of assorted species

I have a royal gramma in a quarantine tank right now, going to introduce to the tank about 1 week from now. Going to add 2 emerald crabs next week as well.

A couple of things I've learned/noticed/observed...

1.) Cleaning the filter matters! I know canister filters are nitrate traps because of how they collect uneaten food, etc. At the time of purchase, it was what I went with. At the end of the cycling time my nitrates, nitrites and ammonium were all at or very near 0. But within a week with continued ghost feeding and a clean up crew, my nitrates slowly crept back up over the next few weeks. I lost a cleaner shrimp when they hit 60ppm. At that point, I began cleaning the filter every week. Since then, my nitrates have steadily dropped and now are consistently below 20ppm. Second cleaner shrimp has thrived for weeks. It takes all of 10 minutes to clean the filter. Very worth it. Plus, I imagine regular cleaning will extend its life.

2.) Clownfish are fun! They may be simple and relatively easy. But they're fun to watch, very active and interesting. Mine likes to swim in the current from the spray bar coming off my filter. And he gets visibly excited at feeding time (he seems to react when you show him the food container at the front of the tank haha). Hoping the royal gramma is a nice addition.

3.) Add stock slowly! I'm a relative rookie, but it's clear to me that fish, invertebrates...basically everything by hermit crabs take time to acclimate to their new surroundings. Adding one thing at a time (beyond the initial clean up crew) is the way to go, at least for a tank as small as mine. I haven't had any disease issues yet, but I've been using a quarantine tank as well for fish (about 3 weeks observation in there before adding to my tank).

Now for some questions...

1.) Why can't I keep snails alive?? I thought they were supposed to be easy/hardy. And I'd really like some inverts to clean the glass. I added about 10 with my first clean up crew (assorted species) and they all died within 2 days. I tried another batch of 8 Nassarius and they all died within 1 day! (and led to a nitrite spike that luckily happened with only hermit crabs in the tank). Is there some trick to snails? I keep the temp at 77 degrees, is that a problem for them? Salinity is 1.024, I don't think that's the issue. Hermit crabs thrive. Snails die. And quickly. Any advice there?

2.) Any tips on drawing my peppermint shrimp out? I've assumed he's dead about 4 times because I don't see him for 5+ days...and then he pops out at some point. It's probably been 8 or 9 days since I've seen him now. He may be dead, but I have no idea. Any thoughts on how to check? I feed the clown mostly flakes, with occasional pellets and brine shrimp mixed in. I assume if the peppermint shrimp is alive, he's getting some of what falls to the floor. Algae buildup has been pretty under control for weeks, and I imagine he and the cleaner shrimp are part of this (hermits too of course) as well.

3.) Any advice on one or two more fish to add after the gramma settles in? I'm new enough to this that I want to focus on hardy, relatively easy species. But would love to add some uniqueness too. Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks, you guys are great!

lmforbis

Snails are easy if water quality is good and they have enough food. In New tank, both can be an issue.

peppermint shrimp don’t really come out. Skunk cleaner shrimp are good if you want to see them. Avoid coral banded shrimp they can eat fish when they get bigger.

id switch to some high quality frozen food. Brine isn’t in that group because it has little nutritional value. Mysis shrimp And some of the mixed foods like rods food are a good choice. Give them variety. Flakes and pellets are fine but shouldn’t be the majority of their diet. I like to keep mine willing to accept pellets so that when I’m gone they will do fine with an auto feeder. I only use high quality pellets.

id look at fire fish and cardinal fish as future additions.

jay0705

Imforbis pretty much got it all. My only question is how are you acclimating the snails? If food was the issue they wouldn't die in a day. Water quality would do it tho.
I agree w a fire fish. I have a green clown goby myself. Very hardy, and small. Possibly a rainfords goby aswell

Wasdal052

I drip acclimated the snails both times for about 30 min. My assumption all along has been that water quality got them. Especially given how new the tank is/was when I added them. But the fact that the hermit crabs and peppermint shrimp have survived for weeks (added at the same time as the snails) left me a bit confused. I guess snails are more sensitive than hermits and shrimp?

And thanks for the feeding tips.

Sounds like a gobie would be a good addition to my stock. Should I have legitimate concerns about a gobie jumping out of the tank (something I've read). Like, do I need to cover the areas of my lid that are open around the intake/outtake tubes for my filter?

lmforbis

I’ve never had an issue with gobies jumping. Shrimp gobies pretty much stay at the bottom near their cave. Clown gobies stay in the rocks.

You don't want to cover your tank with a solid cover because it decreases gas exchange resulting in a lot of issues even fish death. You can purchase mesh cover kits from specialty places. I know BRS sells them. The mesh allows gas exchange but prevents jumpers from getting out. Egg crate (sold where they sell drop ceiling tiles as light diffuser) also works but it looks kind of crappy, the mesh is clear so you don’t really notice it.

Lbablylee

I am wondering about your frequent filter cleansing. I too am a newbie, so I leaned something from each post. I change my filters once a month. For bacterial reasons. Wondering if your cleaning to often? I have snails and hermits and when I knew there was plenty of algae is when I added them. I have a 55 gallon fish only tank. I too started mine in December. Good luck.

jay0705

The cleaning shouldn't be an issue. With sw the live rock contains the vast majority of the bacteria. That said i would still "clean" the filter in sw

lmforbis

I am wondering about your frequent filter cleansing. I too am a newbie, so I leaned something from each post. I change my filters once a month. For bacterial reasons. Wondering if your cleaning to often? I have snails and hermits and when I knew there was plenty of algae is when I added them. I have a 55 gallon fish only tank. I too started mine in December. Good luck.
As the OP stated canister filters need weekly cleaning. Other types do not.

Wasdal052

The cleaning shouldn't be an issue. With sw the live rock contains the vast majority of the bacteria. That said i would still "clean" the filter in sw
Yeah once a week I unplug the canister, detach it from the intake/outtake tubes and rinse the components in sw. I don't replace the bio media or anything, just rinse the components, clear out any obvious buildup of waste and clean the impeller.