ray in customized 180?

wanabebell

I was wondering if a ray like a blue spotted or a cali could fit into a custom made 180 if i decide to take that route
the dimentions would be
4 feet long
3 feet deep
and 2 feet tall
Just a quick question for the ray experts

sharkboy13

ya that sounds like a pretty good setup for a ray, u might not need the tank to be so high but maybe u do, im not as much of a ray expert as others.

sebae09

Im not realy a ray expert but im realy good at building ponds. why are you makeing it so deep? you could go 4x4x1.5=179.52.

wanabebell

its just a matter of where the tank would be
see i could actuall make it 57 inches long by 47 wide by 2 feet tall but that would just look massive

wanabebell

Originally Posted by sebae09
Im not realy a ray expert but im realy good at building ponds. why are you makeing it so deep? you could go 4x4x1.5=179.52.

4 feet deep is deeper than whati i have it made if im not mistaken
and another reason for being taller is that i want to have some free swimming fish too
id probally keep my harlequin and lion
also if i only made the tank 1.5 feet id have to build a taller stand to keep the tank at a good viewing level

sebae09

are you going with acrilic or glass? i dont think putting a tusk in the tanks a good idea one of my friends had one pick the eyes out of a shark.

ac

Rays are kind of wimpy too. I would avoid the ray tusk combo. The tank dimensions sound fine to me, just make sure you have a nice soft sand bottom.

wanabebell

at the petshop I worked at they did very well
they ate anything handed to them
and acted like then normal ray
Jumping and begging just to get more

psusocr1

yes my LFS had one for 8 months but then suddenly died which is what they always do in captivity... there was a thread on another forum that a guy had a bluespot evan in a 750 gallon tank and he still just one day uped and died for no aparent reason. evan in every aquarium and sharks and ray book it will telly ou that they never survive in captivity

wanabebell

what rays would you recomend
because cali rays are a cold water species so what other rays are there that stay small enough for 180 and are a tropical species

sharkboy13

u could try a spotted carribean or a round stingray. id also say a thornback but those need about double the aquarium uve got.

psusocr1

well you have two GREAT choices IMO
you can get the cortez wich ive always wanted due to their nice markings and very small size
or you can get a yellow stingray also warm water species
another side note: i and i beleive Tainte keep 2 ror more cali rays in water that is around 77-78 degrees with absolutly no problems at all

wanabebell

oh really i didnt know cali rays could be kept in warm water
bob fenner on wetwebmedia said that they are a cold water species
and i dont want to have a unhappy ray

psusocr1

they are a cold water speciesand it says they should be kept between 58072 degrees but a little higher arent bothering mine!

reeftank27

I had mine around 75 or so and were fine. I had a blue spot and it lived for about 6 months than all the sudden died with no warning at all, ate great the day before. Look great but I would stay away. I was at thatpetplace and they had a tiny florida ray that I have never heard of. Was only 40 dollars. He was about 3 to 4 inch in diamiter. I would have gottin him but I wasnt coming home right after I left.