razor blade in tank !!!

wetone

I was using a razor blade to clean up corraline algae on my glass when a small piece of razor blade (about 1/4" X 1/4") broke off and fell into the tank, behind the rocks. It could be anywhere, in a rock crevice, sand....but just not anywhere I can find it!!
Is this gonna cause a problem,, I DONT want to have to brak down my tank to MAYBE find a small piece of razor blade.
70G with 25G sump and 25G fuge

cboyfan2020

i also think it could rust and leach some stuff into the water. I would try to find it. Dont want to cut yourself with a rusty razorblade when you decide to break it down in the future.

broomer5

That is a bummer.
Razor blades are steal. There's no doubt in my mind that over time it will corrode in saltwater.
It will release itself into the tankwater - which we all know is not so cool.
If this happened to me - I would take steps to find it and remove it.
A small piece of blade in the tank would be attracted to a magnet.
You can get those flat vinyl like magnets that people use in advertising. Those refridgerator magnet things.
You may be able to attract this little piece to a magnet - maybe.
All depends if it's within reach, and not buried down in sand or rock.
You might also try shining a very bright flashlight in the tank at night - and look for a reflection. Slim chance - but you might get lucky.
I think if anyone say's it would be okay to leave in the tank - would be an irresponsible reply.
I would get it out for sure, and try not to disturb the sandbed while searching.

sammystingray

I believe razors are regular steel?? anyone? steel is made of several toxic substances such as copper, iron, aluminum, etc......I would try to find it and remove it for sure.......just my opinion. If you can't...I would run carbon like a madman and hope for the best while testing and changing water if needed.......I would try though. Myself.....first thing I would personally do is get on the web, not just here, and figure out exactly what metal alloy razors are, and what the make up is.......I did a quick search for you, but I would be very effective in searching if it were my own tank...best of luck.

X

xxchris060

I had a similar problem. What i was told to do by this board was to get a magnet like your magnets that you use to clean your glass. Tie a peice of dental floss to it and run it over the area where you think it fell. It worked for me and my was in behind all my rocks.

sammystingray

hehehe:p :p I do agree with the speed steel will break down...very FAST in saltwater, so it will not be a slow release at all!!!!

broomer5

One last thought - one that you've probably already considered.
Focus your search around the edges - especially the areas where hardest coralline growth was located. Those areas of the glass where you really had to apply some pressure to the blade.
I bet you'll find it !
Don't let a hermit crab get this blade - it could get ugly in there.
The turbo's would yell out " watch it .... he's got a knife!"

cboyfan2020

you could go to an auto parts store and buy one of those little telescopic pens that have a magnetic end on them, like they use to get screws out of hard to reach places in cars. Just a thought.

hairtrigger

Broomer and sammy are right... it will rust. I have left razor blades on top of my tank before. And when I removed them a day or so later, there was already a rust ring around where they had been sitting. And that's not even being directly exposed to the saltwater. Not to mention the corrosion on the blade itself. :eek: Good luck.

dreeves

Here is something to consider when dealing with steel in saltwater...
Reef saving organizations around the globe have procured and sunk old US Navy ships as a foundation for new reefs to build upon.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by broomer5
Don't let a hermit crab get this blade - it could get ugly in there.
The turbo's would yell out " watch it .... he's got a knife!"

Oh great! West side Story in an aquarium :p
Thomas

bang guy

Originally posted by broomer5
I think if anyone say's it would be okay to leave in the tank - would be an irresponsible reply.

I'm going to be irresponsible and say just leave it. It will be gone within a month probably.
The razor chip that broke off contains 98+% Iron, 1% or more Carbon and a smidgen of Manganese. The cutting edge may or may not have been coated with Titanium.
This will all be harmless as it oxidizes IMO.

scotts

The question is what is you razor blade made from? I believe that most are made of stainless steel. They do not want the razor blade to rust too fast, this would cut you rface if it rusted. The basic elements are iron, nickel, chrome and some other stuff. Not much copper. Do a google search for "stainless steel MSDS" this will tell you what is in the razor blade. I cannot tell you if these are toxic for your tank, but I can tell you what is probably in the razor blade.
Unfortunately most stainless steels are not magnetic. This means that it will not stick to a magnet.
Even if it is a regular steel blade the rust is iron oxide. Agian I am not sure if this is toxic for fish.
Sorry if this is of no information.
Scott

fshhub

first off it is steel,
even stainless steel will rust and break down in the presence of chlorine or salt. And even more when submerged in it
2, yes they do sink ships to build reefs nad dispose of old vessels, but in that amount of water, it would be like doing a 900 gallon water change in 30 gallon reef, every day for the next years. doing this definitely wuld not be as harmful as a partial gram of steel in a 100 gallon.
not sure exactly how much damage iron or stell will do in a ref tank, but if there is any copper or such in the steel alloy, then there could be serious problems
broomer, u r too much

wetone

Thanks for all the replies and ideas. I had the same thoughts but was just looking for some other opinions. Again, a small piece broke off the corner, a triangle shape about 1/4" X 1/4", not sure how much "bad" stuff this small piece will leach in comparison to the volume of water in the system. I have a magnet glass cleaner I will try to hover in the area I think it is, coupled with 5-10G water changes every 10 days or so to keep up with possible leaching.
Any thoughts on time frame for this piece to disintegrate? I know Bang Guy said about a month....I'm just trying to figure out when I'm in the clear if I can't find it
Thanks

fulcrum

Actually it will likely passivate with a relatively thick oxide layer (relative to its original thickness). If in an undisturbed location, the piece may never fully react to form corrosion product.
With that said.....if it passivates, then then it seals itself and doesn't produce any more problems. Assuming iron doesn't slowly leach out of the oxide layer.
The guy i just bought my reef tank from, used stainless steel hose clamps on underwater fittings in his sump, and had the reff up and running for 4 years without problem. (i've pulled apart the rusty hose clamps...they were in there for a while and still had plenty of strength)
As a metallurgist I would not think you would get any significant dissolution of iron into your water...if indeed it would even be a problem.

sammystingray

Just a side note..I'm still not sure, but I would get it out if it were me personally. When I searched real quick last night.....I did discover that razor blades come in many metal and other forms......just one site was selling about five different makeups of blades. My search on steel revealed that many types of metal not even meant to be in the mix....were there anyway....AKA the copper I guess. It seems to me that almost no two batches of steel are 100% the same make up. I have personally, and this is MANY times through my life, witnessed the rusting of razor blades within days, just from being left out in the rain.......saltwater surely would rust them faster than rain I would think