RBTA Bubbles?

russianspy

I read alot about people RBTA losing the bubbles, except after feeding. Mine hasn't! My RBTA was ona downslide with my PC and was dieing fast, but with my new 250w HQI and a relocation the thing is GREAT! Has lots of color and never lost it's bubbles once it regained health. But my RBTA hasn't lost its Bubbles...It's about 1 inch away from my 300gph powerhead..and I pointed it right at it...So it never lost it bubbles.
In a clownfish book I have it says that they don't know why the lose the bubbles, and some suggest feeding, or stronger light induces them to have bubbles...Could current be a factor?
How often do you feed? I feed every week, and it seems fine.
PS: Are Elegance corals compatible with RBTA if there on seperate ends of my tank? It's a 3 foot long 45 gallon.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Good that you got the MHs, Russ. My RTBA died under my VHOs. The coral should be fine. Feed at least every other day.

krowleey

wow feed everyother day? i must be starving mine then i feed about once every 2 weeks a whole shrimp.

rwhite

We have 2 green BTAs that do not have bubbles. When we purchased the org. it was smallish and had its bubble tips. It lost its bubble tips within a week or so and a few mos. later it split. We were running 4 x 65w pcs and have recently started changing out the old for new and blues for true 03s. I believe they are digging the change.
My theory on why they lose bubbles is the lighting. With less intense lighting, the tentacles enlongate to produce more surface area for the zooanthallae(sp). Just a theory, I'm no expert by far.
Ours sways in the current, but definitely not intense current. Not sure if that would be a factor or not.
Feedings are 2-3 times a week, sometimes less. Depends on my mood I guess. Mysis, krill and squid.
Dont know anything about the compatibility thing, sorry.