RBTA Concerns

aiber

Hello,
Bought a RBTA two days ago. Acclimated properly, water great, yada yada yada...
This is what I have noticed:
Anemone has remained kinda stringy.
Moved the first night but since has remained in place.
Hosted by a Clarkii.
Shrinks during when lights are off.
Is this anemone ok?

birdy

only time will tell, mine is constantly shrinking and filling back up. Just give it some time to adjust.

T

thomas712

Yea, sounds pretty normal right now. It will take him awhile to adjust to your tank, and he is saving energy to make his move to a place that he will call home. After a couple of days of not moving you may want to try to feed him, or if he lands in a place that you would like him to stay feed him there.
Thomas

aiber

Now I think that the anemone is in trouble....It has shriveled up to about 1/8 it's size and has moved inside a crevice in the rocks. It has been this way for about two hours.
Please , someone, tell me that my anemone still has a chance!
Help!

etd5862

Don't panic. I got a RBTA the end of May and I went through nail-biting too at the beginning when it would shrink. The BTA likes to have it's foot hidden in rockwork, so moving in to a crevice would be normal. When it inflates, likely its tentacles will be in the light. It likely is getting acclimated to your lights, too. (BTW, what kind/wattage of lights do you have?)
My anemone has tripled in size since I got it and is doing well. It deflates regularly at night, and the bulbs regressed within a week and are now long with no bulb at the end (I have no clown for it to host at this time). It also defates when deficating (you will notice a brown gunk being dispelled from its mouth).
It also deflated for several days in a row which I determined was related to low oxygen levels. I have a crappy airstone-driven skimmer and it wasn't producing skimmate, so I disconnected it thinking it wasn't doing anything while I ordered a new airstone for it. Though it wasn't skimming, it was helping with oxygenation, and when I got the new airstone intalled, the anemone reinflated within hours, and has since followed its regular pattern. ( FYI; I determined oxygenation indirectly by looking at pH levels: CO2=Bicarb=higher pH, so if you keep a log of water parameters you can compare from previous and see if there is a change)

aiber

:)
Hey thanks for the info....I really appreciate it. I pleased to notice this morning that the RBTA has inflated again(somewhat)..Let's see what happens....
I have 440 watts of VHO lighting with with two actinic and two white actinic. I think that should be enough light. Could it be too much?
Thanks

etd5862

I think your lighting sounds ok. Its within the generally accepted rule of thumb for BTA's which is watt/gal greater than 4.3. I suspect that your lighting is not 'too much' on a long term basis, but probably is a bit much for an anemone coming from a dealer's tank that was probably under-lit. Its kinda like if you'd been in a dark house for days and went to Hawaii. You'd probably squint for a few days and want to be under a hat until you got used to the sun again. Once you get adjusted you'd be much happier on the beach than in your cave:)