RBTA dropped baby tentacle

ogredawg

I was feeding my tank and saw a small rbta tentacle floating around. I can't say that its dead because it enflates and deflates. Did my RBTA dropped a baby? Or is it something else? Is it good or bad?
For the meantime I put the tentacle in my sump.

renogaw

generally a sign of stress, as anenomes do not reproduce this way i believe. check for nitrates and make sure you have good lighting for it

scsinet

Anemones do reproduce by fission, where they just split, but I've never heard of them dropping one tentacle. I'd just watch it and see what happens.

dogstar

It is possible that the tentacle got stuck to something ( cleaning or feeding tool, your hand, magfloat, a fish !!, ect. ) that that pulled and broke the tentacle loose from the anemone befor the anemone could let go. Its happened with mine a few times over the years but the broken tentacles never grew into another anemone.

ogredawg

Nitrates < 5
4 x 24w High Output T5
22g tank (12" high tank)
I'll watch it for now, I'll keep you guys updated.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Dogstar
It is possible that the tentacle got stuck to something ( cleaning or feeding tool, your hand, magfloat, a fish !!, ect. ) that that pulled and broke the tentacle loose from the anemone befor the anemone could let go. Its happened with mine a few times over the years but the broken tentacles never grew into another anemone.

+1