RBTA Placement

kynekke

This is a long shot but has anyone ever found a way to "gently" encourage an RBTA to attach in a certain area? I don't have a spot for him but it would even out the asthetics of my tank if he'd attach in the left 1/3 of my 6 ft tank. I get him today so any help would be appreciated.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Kynekke
http:///forum/post/2727223
This is a long shot but has anyone ever found a way to "gently" encourage an RBTA to attach in a certain area? I don't have a spot for him but it would even out the asthetics of my tank if he'd attach in the left 1/3 of my 6 ft tank. I get him today so any help would be appreciated.
I have 2 suggestions that have worked well for me. The first was more chance the second was more planned. I configured my LR placement to give the anemone a spot to feel secure in. A nice crevis for it to resend into. I placed the animal in the crevis, this is where luck played a role. Luckily it attached and acclimated itself right there. When the lights came on and it inflated it would be right under the lights with moderate flow. As soon as it inflated I fed it, this fulfilled its needs to where i believe it wouldnt want to move. This worked well for me until I reaquascaped.
The second method I used was to allow the anemone to go where it wanted, attach to a piece of LR and look happy. When the lights were on and it was inflated I took notes as to what angle it was at in relationship to the lights, and how much flow it had. I relocated the piece of LR It was footed on to a spot where i wanted it, and I duplicated everything from its original spot so it wouldnt notice anything different. So far it has been in the same place for over 6 months.
There is no definate way I still took a chance with my methods but they seemed to work pretty well.

kynekke

Great suggestions! I'm so nervous anyway, my first anemone and I managed to find someone selling a way cheap RBTA. I have the lights, flow, etc.. still nervous.
So... while we're talking anemones.... how often do you feed yours?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Kynekke http:///forum/post/2727231
Great suggestions! I'm so nervous anyway, my first anemone and I managed to find someone selling a way cheap RBTA. I have the lights, flow, etc.. still nervous.
So... while we're talking anemones.... how often do you feed yours?
If you have all of the above you will do fine... BTA's IMO are among the hardiest and when given the correct perameters they are extremly hardy, without creating a debate this next comment is MO only. But under the correct perameters they are so hardy I would say they would be difficult to kill.
As for feeding this is also MO and you will hear a varied opinion of this as well. BTA's are among the mildest anemones their sting although potent enough to inflict damage is not as bad as some other species of anemones. If I had a carpet anemone or a condy anemone I would feed more often to help avoid predation although it may not help. For overall health if you animal is under the correct lighting and your water chemistry is good it needs very little from you. If it hosts any anemone fish there is a good chance they will feed your anemone for you. If not it will benifit from what and when you feed your tank. If you still want too, I would say no more than twice a week. As to what, well anything marine diet and raw, shrimp, clams, mysis, krill, cyclops....etc. I recommend that the food be minced and administered with an eye dropper or turkey baster type utensil. Squirt the food into the middle of the anemone. If healthy and or hungry it will pull its tenticles in grabbing on to the pieces of food and direct them to its mouth. Small pieces IMO are better for the animal as it takes a great deal of energy to digest. Larger pieces even though they animal will eat them will also expend a ton of energy doing so. Kinda making the whole feeding process counter productive. I will also add that the reason I say this has some evidence behind it too. I read that in over 90% of captured and disected BTA's from the ocean their stomach contents contained pods, and microfauna very rarely were there whole fish or chunks of meat found in them. HTH good luck and post pics when you get it... I love RBTA's
Also... Very important ....
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/305714/pre-filters

It really depends for me. When I first got him he was sick so I fed him frozen krill every 2 days until he was better (small portions.)
Now, that he is healthy, I feed him once every few weeks. He has been doing well for over a year now and getting much larger to. I am hoping he will split soon.

kynekke

Oh wow, good to know about the ph cover! Thanks Ninja, I love hearing differing opinions on how things are done, helps a bunch :) I'm one that wants to know HOW to take care of the animal before I own it.