Reactors

gilbert

What exactly are phosphate and calcium reactors? I hear about them all the time, but I don't know what they are.

gilbert

How? What do you put in a phosphate reactor to get the phosphates out? And same for a calcium reactor? Thanks for your help.

binns239

They both kind of look like small Skimmers but you put media in them. Phosphate reactor is set up with a jet pushing through inlet goes through the media which is phosphate remover and it filters then goes through outlet back into your sump. Calcium reactor is almost the same but it only pumps calcium into the tank. I have a phosphate reactor ran me about 75 bucks for a 150 gallon and about 20 for a month supply of remover. Calcium reactors are a lot of money or I'd have one

acrylic51

There use to be an awesome thread on here years back by Kip Peeler....I tried searching for the thread, but can't dig it up...maybe Bang or SCSInet might be able to revive it, but an excellent read. You might google him, he made TOTM a while back on the other forum and you might find some info from his article...HTH

btldreef

Kalkwasser is calcium hydroxide (aka lime water).
To explain it simply, it is a supplement that is used by some people to replenish the calcium levels in their tank that can be depleted by its inhabitants (clams, SPS, etc). It's also used as a paste to kill aiptasia and majano nuisance anemones.
My suggestion, if you're new to the hobby, stay far, far, far away from Kalkwasser.

mrdc

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3281101
My suggestion, if you're new to the hobby, stay far, far, far away from Kalkwasser.
Exactly!!! Go with a phosban reactor if you want a reactor. They are easy.

nikesb

if im not mistaken, you have only a nano tank right gilbert? with such a small tank, there shouldnt be a need for a reactor. as for kalk, you can dose manually and its much easier to control