Ready for a bigger tank...what to buy??

solly

I have a 35gal hex that I inherited when my daughter went off to college, but I have done about all that I can do with it and am ready to try a bigger tank. I want FOWLR and at least 75gal, but that's all I really know. Glass or acrylic? Bowfront? Do I dare try to save some $$ and buy a used set up? With FOWLR will I need sump/refugium that I see people talk about or are those for coral lovers, because I know nothing about them or how to set one up...I need help and advice!!

kaingers

I have never bought a new setup and Ive been in the hobby for a couple years now. You will save a bunch of money, but you have to be patient and wait for the right one for you.
With a FOWLR you are going to want the same filtration as a reef tank. A sump/fuge will always aid in this process, and is a good idea for any and every tank.
Acrylic is lighter, but scratches more easily than glass. The style and size of tank is completely up to you. Make it your own!
Do your research and take your time. Good luck, can't wait to see the finished product

gmann1139

1. Visual - Make sure you look into the tank. I don't like the way bowfronts refract and distort the light coming through, so I'll never buy one, but that's me.
2. Comfort - Make sure you feel comfortable reaching into the tank, especially if its going against a wall.
3. Stocklist - Assuming you're staying with a 4' tank, it won't make a difference, but what you can keep in a 4' and a 6' tank are much different.

king_neptune

Bow front will add a magnifying glass effect. Its kinda cool in some ways. But in other ways it isnt.You just have to decide which would suit you.
As for sump, you can get away w/out a sump.
An HOB fuge/skimmer would work just fine.
An external canister like a fluvial or something to that effect would also do plenty. And would save you the hassle of a sump.
Other things you can look into that would still be compatible with an HOB type setup would be a small UV system, or a Carbon/GFO reactor. The pumps needed to power these would be sitting in your HOB and the discharge would also drain right back into it.
That said, you will have more options if decide to add a sump.
For starters like the above poster mentioned, you will have more filtration options. Also more water volume means more success/forgivness. I could go on, but you get the idea.
In short, if you can feasibly do a sump style setup, by all means go ahead, it will only do good things. And if you ever decide to go from FOWLR to REEF, the transition will be extremely easy.Pretty much adding proper lights up top and your done.

hey bro
I upgraded too! I just bought a 160 gal bowfront glass aquarium with a nice cherry stand. Lighting, skimmer, and fuge came with but I will not use. The equipment is cheap and not as effective as I would like but anyway, I got on craigslist.com and searched aquariums.
A guy had one for sale 30 miles away for 600$
which I believe the complete setup brand nw was at least $2000 worth.
It was a steal in my mind. It was used but it really doesnt matter as long as it's not cracked or have any faulty seal leaks.
So check out craigslist.com first! you could have a bunch of money for critters!

scottnlisa

Originally Posted by tannersmith200
http:///forum/post/3223506
hey bro
I upgraded too! I just bought a 160 gal bowfront glass aquarium with a nice cherry stand. Lighting, skimmer, and fuge came with but I will not use. The equipment is cheap and not as effective as I would like but anyway, I got on craigslist.com and searched aquariums.
A guy had one for sale 30 miles away for 600$
which I believe the complete setup brand nw was at least $2000 worth.
It was a steal in my mind. It was used but it really doesnt matter as long as it's not cracked or have any faulty seal leaks.
So check out craigslist.com first! you could have a bunch of money for critters!

I got my 125 g tank with stand, hood, 100 # of sand, canister filter, complete 4 light set-up, heater off of craiglist.com and he delivered it from the Indiana-Ohio border to where I live which is the Ohio-West Virginia border for $400 total. Used is the way to go. I had to clean up the canister filter and tank some but for the price it was a steal.