ready for the switch

fishy411

well i am ready to make the switch from fw to sw in my 10 gallon. I calculated teh cost of switching at around 50$. Just tell me if i missed anything . I plan on getting like 12-13 pounds of base rock and then seeding it with A couple pounds of live rock. I am gonna get play sand and seed it with sand from my friends 40 reef and he trades with evry one so it should be pretty diverse. I Am getting salt mix and the occupants will be a clownfish and either a clown goby or this cool psuedo chromis i saw at my LFS
Did i cover everything?

bigarn

Sounds good so far.... Just be sure the tank has never had copper added to it when it was freshwater. :D

fishy411

o crud. That reminds me. It had ich medicine in it. Dang. that has copper in i ti think. I can get another 10 gallon for 10$ though. WOuld the filter be ok still? i can keep it in the tank until i have to switch over.

bigarn

Just rinse the filter really good with white vinegar and water. It's the silicone in the tank that holds the copper. :D

fishy411

i just looked on the bottle and it doesnt have copper listed in the ingredients. It says Sodium Chloride (thats salt right?), victoria green, and acriflavine

fishy411

also i ha dsomeone tell me i need a skimmer. I thjink this would be a waste of money to spend 100$ for a 10 gallon tank with a low bioload and Live rock and and live sand. I should be ok with a whisper 5-15 right?

laddy

A saying at my work: Over budget and two weeks late. That's what I equate saltwater tanks :D They are so rewarding don't get me wrong, but if you put yourself on a stringent budget you'll be out of the hobby the way I was the first time around (fifteen years ago). As for the HOB filter, I'd find the corresponding GPH listed on the filters box, and move a size up. That's just my opinion.

fishy411

Originally posted by Laddy
A saying at my work: Over budget and two weeks late. That's what I equate saltwater tanks :D They are so rewarding don't get me wrong, but if you put yourself on a stringent budget you'll be out of the hobby the way I was the first time around (fifteen years ago). As for the HOB filter, I'd find the corresponding GPH listed on the filters box, and move a size up. That's just my opinion.

Not really on a Budget. I have a couple hundred dollars and am in the process of making another couple hundred. I will try to mive a size up but the next size is around 20 gallons. If i got that would i still need a Ph or could i rely on the water flow from teh filter? Also does anyone know about the sand?
if the skimmer was necessary i would buy it but When i look at Nano cubes and stuff they dont run skimmers do they?

laddy

Skimmer on a nano, no. As for the sand, go down and get a bag of live sand (approx $22), that should set you up better than the play sand.

fishy411

Originally posted by Laddy
Skimmer on a nano, no. As for the sand, go down and get a bag of live sand (approx $22), that should set you up better than the play sand.

Sound slikie a plan. I dont think the sand is live though. I could get ocean sand that i dont think is live and then seed it though.