Ready for water, LR, and LS

0verfl0w

The LFS is about 25 minutes away from me. I have 5 of the 5gal jugs so I need to figure out the most efficient way to do this w/o messing everything up. How much LR should I pick up on my first run? I wanna pick up just enough to lay down the foundation for my reef but I'm not sure if that's the best way to go about it. My tank has the built in overflow system and I have a pro clear aquatics refugium with a rio 3100. Can I run my pump with only 25 gallons in there? Would my LR and LS be okay if I left it in the tank for about an hour in still water?
:help:

hot883

Originally Posted by 0verfl0w
The LFS is about 25 minutes away from me. I have 5 of the 5gal jugs so I need to figure out the most efficient way to do this w/o messing everything up. How much LR should I pick up on my first run? I wanna pick up just enough to lay down the foundation for my reef but I'm not sure if that's the best way to go about it. My tank has the built in overflow system and I have a pro clear aquatics refugium with a rio 3100. Can I run my pump with only 25 gallons in there? Would my LR and LS be okay if I left it in the tank for about an hour in still water?
:help:
So long it's not sitting outside of the tank in NO water then you should be just fine. Think of the tidal pools in the ocean.

hot883

Do you think 55lbs of LS is adequate? That's what the owner of the LFS suggested.
Really depends on the overall effect that you want. I would buy the LR first because that goes in first and then the sand goes in after. If you place the LR ON the sand then it would be unstable later when something burrows under it. 60 lbs. of sand should be more than enough

E

exile415

how big is your tank ? I have 50lbs in my 60 gallon. I still want more..

E

exile415

65 gallon
55 sounds right. maybe 60 or 70 LBS.

airforceb2

One question that hasn't been answered...don't turn the pump on till the tank is full. You wont be able to overflow to the sump till the tank is full of water. I have 60lbs of sand in my 90 and I like it.

0verfl0w

I figured i couldn't turn the pump on. 55lbs of LS seems good then. I'm gonna put the other 5lbs in my refugium and then lay 10lbs of mud on top of it.