Ready to give up-losing fish again

O

oreo12

Like your self I had the red slime show up in both my tanks after moving the 29 and takeing the 54 gal and put its contents into a 75 gal. I tried more power heads more water movement less lighting less food but this red stuff just kept spredeing taking over then this brown stuff started growing on the glass. I asked if any snails or grabs would eat the stuff and was told no. after reserching it I found the red stuff was not alage at all but a pariste. I saw the red slime remover you were talking about using at premuin aquitcs web site I bought it and tried it. It worked great in the 75 gal the tank has been red slime and alage free since. The skimmer I shut off the first 2 days then kicked it into high on the third day it worked great in the 75 no fish loss. In the 29 where the stuff was thick and looked like a peace of silck laying on the bottom of the tank it killed the red stuff on the glass and some of the rocks I treated again like it said still no results on the floor so I did a water change sucking the bottom clean as I could still have some red on the rock treated again but no change the red stuff has not spread anymore and the tank dose look beter the corals look beter. I have never had any luck keeping hawk fish alive. My huma lays on his side at nite and when it gets spooked it gets inside a hole in a live rock I can't figure how he gets into that small hole but it dose. I wouldn't blame the red slime remover on the fishes death. I had no fish or inverts die i treated 2 tanks. But then I also like Kick ich and most on this site are afraid to try it as well. I like quik easy no fuss fixes good luck.

yupi1982

Put Rally For 10 Days And Then I Strongly Recomend You To Do A 40% Water Change, Take Out All Your Equpment And Clean It With Bunches Of Hot Water
To See What Happend..KEEP IT UP MEN

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by yupi1982
Put Rally For 10 Days And Then I Strongly Recomend You To Do A 40% Water Change, Take Out All Your Equpment And Clean It With Bunches Of Hot Water
To See What Happend..KEEP IT UP MEN

I would do what he recommends and see what happen. About the comment earlier, I read it as $600 in fish not 600 fish...lol...But it's all trial and error to learn better, sure we shouldn't be killing so many fish. But you never know what we could learn from it and maybe learn to prolong or better the fish's life. Maybe someone could learn to have them breed in captivity so we don't have to get anymore fish from the ocean...Just my thoughts!!

traib

to the guy who does not know how to keep fish. Take your money and invest in junk bonds insted of fish you'll only kill.

brsdr32

An update on my medication.
It worked. My red slime is gone.
Besides losing a fish, a Hawkfish, I haven't had that many problems. I am now thinking it was a coincidence that I lost my Hawkfish. None of my other fish died and my Huma Huma is swimming around like nothing was ever wrong. I have checked all of my numbers and they all are within normal ranges. My temp is good and so is my pH.
I turned on my protein skimmer 2 days after i medicated and it is running normal again. It did take out some residual medication.
I think I am going to continue this hobby. It is very satisfying to have healthy fish and to show off what you have. I love having people come over and comment on how nice of a tank that I have and the kids that love my "Nemo's".
I hope again that it was a coincidence that I lost my Hawkfish and not the medication. But my LFS says that they have had nothing buy good results with the medication that I used and they haven't had people complain about it.

brsdr32

My Huma Huma is about 4 1/2 inches long. I'd say about a medium sized one from the ones I have seen at my LFS. It doesn't look thin either. I feed him and my other fish every 2 days. I also make sure I don't have excess food lying around in the water either.

carshark

dude youre telling me you have never lost a fish?? its truly sad to see people who think they are gods gift to fishkeeping, everyone makes mistakes, where do you think all the information on fishkeeping comes from? do you think someone woke up one day and said,"hmm maybe if i reduce the light cycle a little that will help an algae problem that i dont even know exists yet" or "well i better hyposalinize my tank because of an ich outbreak that i dont even know is out there, and it will kill my fish maybe because i dont know what it is" that was a poor post and unless you have something decent to say keep to yourself!!!

ophiura

Chill everyone - sometimes people can misunderstand things...no need to escalate. Someone says something nasty, then ignore it or point out maturely that it is not a fair thing to say. Still 600 is more reasonably a dollar amount than an individual loss of fish

Now, I am not saying I have never lost a fish, but I have never lost a dozen fish. So I think there is something to be said for both arguments. It is one thing to lose a fish or even some fish. Realistically you just can't come down on people for that because it happens. But there is a point where I think others are right - maybe you need to really sit down and figure out what is going wrong. If you are losing a dozen fish in 2 years, I think there is a problem there and you need to seriously sit down and learn from the mistakes in the past to stop repeating them. JMO tho.

brsdr32

Well I'm not defending anyone on either side of the losing 600 dollars in fish. But I have made some major mistakes in my short time in this hobby.
The mistakes that I did make cost me most of my fish, like 80%, each time I made a mistake. Now saying that, I have had no more than 6 fish in my tank at a time. I did learn from the mistakes after the fact. My big problem is that I didn't do enough research before i started and then after my 1st mistake. I have learned from all mistakes.
I am more cautious about buying fish and what I put in my tank. I also keep a relative close eye on my parameters.
I can see where someone has lost 600 dollars, some of these fish are expensive especialy if a LFS marks up their prices a little too much. My LFS is very reasonable because I've been dealing with them for 5 years.
But on the other hand, you need to do research and need to limit your losses. I guess I can agree with both sides to a point.

yupi1982

excuse me ...mr perfect!!
you think i killed the fishhes because i enjoy , or because i like to trow my money away?
in fact are not 12 ....the real # is 8
anyway, i wont argue about this with you.....a nonsense guy
i havent quit because i like to learn from my errors not to kill fishes!!

ophiura

Please stop calling people "idiot" and saying things like "not to kill you idiot." A mere comma difference in there is a HUGE difference in tone...and easily misunderstood just as the original "600" thing was. Calling people an "idiot" on either side of this argument does nothing to advance any argument at all. It is unecessary and unproductive...and unwelcome. Traib said something that was pretty harsh for sure - quite unproductive as well - but this has been escalated.
Eveyone, please either explain yourself calmly, or please don't do it at all.
Kudos to brsdr32 as an example
of learning from mistakes and explaining their opinion in a calm and mature fashion.

greggti

The important thing to remember in this hobby is to only purchase fish that you are certain can live in your system. And you won't lose any fish. In 9 months I have lost one dime size domino damsel cause he got stuck to the powerhead.

ohiorn67

HI guys, I also suffered bad from the cyano bacteria....always covering my sand each day for me to suck out of there...then starting a bit on the rocks. It took me 4 times to use that red slime remover....I gave in and did it....worked the best the last time..not a single death in my tank, we just made sure to follow directions with the water change. I have a bit of diatoms now after the kill...so hoping they will go away..getting ready to upgrade my 90....I have also now lost my very first things.....might be from a PH swing I experienced....my fault...turned off the skimmer for the red slime and forgot to up my PH for more surface tension which I believe increased the CO2 in the tank and dropped my PH....so starfish died..but also 2 weeks ago lost our mandarin because our 6 line got aggressive we believe because they were both pod eaters and by nature he was defending his turf...will be removing him and giving him away with upgrade...he does not bother anyone else....but want another mandarin.....that is all in 8 months....lost one green brain coral but was sickly when received and kept it going 2weeks..one at lfs that came in with it also died the same time.....we think we are doing well, not perfect but well.

scubadoo

I.D.I.O.T.Intellectual
D
ivergence
I
n
O
rganizing
T
Hought
I consider myself a moron...so an idiot is an improvement for me