Real Ocean Pure Natural Seawater

jz-hare

I'm thinking about buying Catalina Water Company Real Ocean Pure Natural Seawater from a LFS.
Anyone have any opinion?

marka1620

I bought 2-5 gallon jugs of this at ***** when I was in a pinch (quick water change). Can't really give much feedback on it....it's seawater and did what it suppose to do.
Not really cost effective in my eyes...especially in a large tank. I would think it would be a nice option in a very small tank. If I had a 10g tank, I would probably use it for water changes...as I'm lazy.

reefkprz

Its ok for quick water changes or small tanks but IMO would be too expensive to run longterm (especially if you do as many waterchanges as I do) As far as I know there are no raving bad reviews about it.

aquaguy24

i always buy that water from my lfs..i have a 24g tank so its not that expensive for me to use that as water changes every week.. better then mixing salt and water and worrying about getting ro water all the time..although i always have to add some but not much ,purified water to get the salinity down to 1.024. other then that its great..it cost me 2 dollar something a week to change my water.. i change 5g of water a week..

earlybird

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
True, if salt was cheaper i think i would do water changes every cuople of days just for fun..
You need help

jz-hare

I'm thinking about using Catalina SeaWater for my future top-off and water change.
My question is I have 75 gal, 20 gal water change monthly will it be enough to keep livestocks happy?

reefforbrains

Boxed water I think does have a 1.025 but even at 1.024 its an easy fix with daily evap.
Daily top off should be fresh clean water, the salt stays only the water evaps, when topping off if you use sea water your salinity will skyrocket
Boxed water is usually for fish only tanks, the cal and strontium and iodine are very low.
I am usually against doseing when its not needed but boxed water just seems lacking for reefs and when you dose it you play with the levels so much your better off just doing it yourself. JMO
And very expensive with larger tanks.

jz-hare

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
Boxed water I think does have a 1.025 but even at 1.024 its an easy fix with daily evap.
Daily top off should be fresh clean water, the salt stays only the water evaps, when topping off if you use sea water your salinity will skyrocket
Boxed water is usually for fish only tanks, the cal and strontium and iodine are very low.
I am usually against doseing when its not needed but boxed water just seems lacking for reefs and when you dose it you play with the levels so much your better off just doing it yourself. JMO
And very expensive with larger tanks.
Thanks... i almost forgot salt don't evaporated.
I have FO 75 gal so i think it will be okay.
$10/5gal seawater it's acceptable, i'm busy most of time that's why i choose to go with box water and too lazy to mix, measure and mix ,remeasure too much work.

reefforbrains

yeah then for you rpersonal situation, it will be a perfect fit with such busy scheduale and suck.
But might look around the board for someone local to you that can come and do maintanance for you. I am sure there is some kid in the 15-20 year range that would come to your home weekly and do the actual mixing and changing for less than what the box would cost.
#1= Mixed might be better quality
#2=Kid would have some money to spend on thier own tank
#3=You wouldnt have to lift a finger and price would be in similar arena as you doig it yourself. They could also clean algea and ect 1 hour a week would by all thats needed for a 10% change and a basic cleanup.

jz-hare

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
yeah then for you rpersonal situation, it will be a perfect fit with such busy scheduale and suck.
But might look around the board for someone local to you that can come and do maintanance for you. I am sure there is some kid in the 15-20 year range that would come to your home weekly and do the actual mixing and changing for less than what the box would cost.
#1= Mixed might be better quality
#2=Kid would have some money to spend on thier own tank
#3=You wouldnt have to lift a finger and price would be in similar arena as you doig it yourself. They could also clean algea and ect 1 hour a week would by all thats needed for a 10% change and a basic cleanup.
I have a job from 11-10pm, 6 1/2 days a week, it's hard to find someone to clean my tank at 10pm at night.
I did paid one of the guy from LFS last year he cleaned my tank 2X a month and sadly i fired him after 2months, you wouldn't believe how messy he was. :mad: He is very very nice guy who never stop talking. He is speedy too 20 minutes was all he takes.
I did some research on Catalina Water found 95% positive feed-back from hobbyists.
Anyone have any suggestion for me?