Really Aggressive Niger Trigger

marinebiofreak

My Niger (redtoothed) trigger is really aggressive towards my other fish. So far he has devoured a domino damsel, blue hippo tang, coral beauty angel, 4 electric blue damsels, 4 yellow tail damsels, koran angel, flame angel, and my personal favorite - humu humu trigger. I'm afraid that if I try to introduce any other fish with him that he will eat them to. He is about 4 inches (named spook) and is still young - he hasn't grown his red teeth yet. His current tank mates are a sailfin tang named susum, the last remaining yellow tail damsel (nameless), a scopas tang named tele, a foxface named fitzee, a lunar wrasse named lulu, a pink smith damsel named lucy, and a pair of ocellaris clowns.
WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!

mproctor4

That little sucker would be GONE. It is only going to get worse with time and eventually he will kill everything else in the tank if he has already destroyed that many fish. How big is your tank? I would feel 10 times worse watching him kill all the other fish than I would getting rid of him. Post him on craigslist or local reef club, trade him............whatever, just make sure whoever gets him knows how aggressive he is. GONE!
Man, my niger is a wuss, he ignores everything....guess I should be grateful!

tangs rule

I'd rather have all the other fishes than the niger, but that's just me. I really hope you have not acutally let him "devour" all those other fish listed - cause that's a nice stock list of species that most poeple would kill for.

marinebiofreak

Thanks for all the good advice but I do love him. His name is spook and he is a really beautiful fish. Even though he's eaten so many fish I'm going to take my chances :/ I'll keep everyone posted if he attacks again.

aquaknight

That is an awlfully a lot of fish the Niger has 'devoured', and perhaps equally a lot, of current fish that are still in the tank. How big is the tank?
Was the Niger the last one in, and all those fish were together? Or the Niger was added before all of the fish he's killed/eaten and the ones "still in here" were in before him? Or has it been a mix of fish added since him, that he's ignored or killed?

rslinger

This blows my mind. I have kept a couple of these and there were fish I would have consider reef safe. I am blown away that such a small trigger would have a huge problem in that size tankc4

travelerjp98

Me too, Rslinger. I agree with you on that one.
marinbiofreak, how big were the other fish when the niger ate them?

marinebiofreak

Well the hippo wasn't big he was only like 2 inches, the damsels were the standard 2-3 inches, the domino was like 4, the coral beauty was 3-3 1/2, the koran was pretty small...2 inches max and the humu humu was the same size as the niger - around 4 inches.

tiffanyk

My Niger is with two other triggers, clown, humu, emperor angel, blue hippo. He's the largest one in my tank and a huge wuss! So i'm shocked he did that also!

rslinger

You must have the meanest one.and I have never seen a trigger eat any fish. Pick there fins off or peck eyes out

1snapple

I have a 4" niger and he is an awesome fish, doesn't do ANYTHING wong, he just hands out, has streamers and everything, he is in a 95g tank with a yellow tank, starry blenny, yellow tail damsel, clown pair, melanurus wrasse, and a 4" hippo tang.
Sure he is really aggressive toward nori and mysis but NEVER any fish, hermits, snails. Nothing but nori and mysis is he aggressive over. And he was in the tank before the ywllo tang, hippo, starry blenny and the melanurus wrasse. he was the 3rd fish and has never been a problem, the yellowtail was the worse problem.

mproctor4

I think the name is funny! Caught that earlier in the thread and thought it was ironic. My dad had a niger for years and I've had mine 1 1/2 and they are both very peaceful. Fish are a little like people, some are just mean. Honestly though, if you are set on keeping him, I would keep him alone.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproctor4 http:///forum/thread/385988/really-aggressive-niger-trigger#post_3388187
I think the name is funny! Caught that earlier in the thread and thought it was ironic. My dad had a niger for years and I've had mine 1 1/2 and they are both very peaceful. Fish are a little like people, some are just mean. Honestly though, if you are set on keeping him, I would keep him alone.
You don't always know the temperment of fish. They are just like humans, like you said.

C

cuccaro

I have a evil yellow tang u can have might put him in his place we shouldset up a match and sell tickets and put on payperview! ! My yellow tank is so mean my 16 inch snowflake eel is afraid oh him yellow tang picks on him all day. Im lucky now eel only comes out to eat.