Really need help in light upgrade

dinki

That makes me feel much better. I'll keep these lights for a while until I can upgrade to something worth getting. Thanks again guys.

yvette_ajm

I have the same tank and we were looking to upgrade our lights too....How would we go about doing this? Im kinda new to all this stuff so i dont know if i would have to just change the bulbs or the whole fixture itself?

reefraff

Originally Posted by Yvette_AJM
I have the same tank and we were looking to upgrade our lights too....How would we go about doing this? Im kinda new to all this stuff so i dont know if i would have to just change the bulbs or the whole fixture itself?
If you want to have corals you will need a new fixture. a 4x55/65 watt power compact fixture would be the minimum to keep anything more than mushrooms.

dinki

I paid a visit to a different LFS yesterday and the guy there told me that I could change out my bulbs for coralife 50/50 bulbs. These are 18" 15W bulbs that would replace my FW bulbs. I found them online for a good bit cheaper (~$30 shipped for two). What benefit would I get by changing to these bulbs? It's a small price if I can get at least some benefit from it.
So in a nutshell, how will I benefit from changing my FW bulbs to the 50/50? Thanks

reefraff

It might look a little nicer. The 50/50 lamp will be ice white or even slightly blue but it isn't going to have a great deal more PAR to it if any.