Really need HELP!!

deny

denisedenise :notsure:
New to this board and hoping for some good advice! I have a 55 gal and want FO. My LFS told me to test the water every week during the cycle period, but I have read that it should have been done daily. I started with cc, 8 damsels and no live rock or live sand. It's been 8 wks and I have two damsels left. I have also been blessed with the "golden brown diatom algae". I cleaned the tank and put in a Phos-Zorb pouch to eliminate the slicates. Then my LFS gave me some of their "dirty" water to try to seed the tank with their bacteria. It's been one day the nasty diatom is returning. What am I doing wrong? I had a 35gal tank and was constantly killing my fish so I traded up to a 55 as I was told the bigger the easier it is to keep. I don't seem to be doing any better with this one. I know there so much to learn and my LFS doesn't seem to be helping much... Any suggestions for getting this tank on the right track???? :help:
Deny

johnzo

First off Welcome!
Can you give you water parameters ... and tell about filtration... lights... LR? DSB?

turningtim

What is your other filtration? And like johnzo said what are the water parameters? No worries on the diatoms they will go away. DO NOT ADD ANY MORE FISH! You need some kind of bio-filtration, LR Bio-balls, bio-wheel.
Tell us more about your set-up!
We can help!
Tim

deny

HA, cute picture...and thanks for the welcome. I just did a search on diatoms and am happy to know there are other newbies out there with the same problem. My filter is an aquaclear 500. The lighting is one from the LFS for saltwater fish, don't know anymore than that. I only turn the light at night for maybe 3-4 hrs tops. Maybe a few hrs more on the weekends. I don't know what the other abbreviations you asked me about mean?? LR and something??

trikonreef

IMO you should get some Live Rock and Live Sand. Not the prepackaged sand try to get some from your LFS. Get allot of this and your tank will start crawling with Bacteria. They also sell a product called Bio-zyme that helps boost bactiria.
I just set up a 40 gal using this and after 4 days my cycle is almost gone.
It's good you found this site there is some much info her. I started my tanks over 2 years ago and found SWF about the same time. sadly, I've forgotten my login info twice and just recently set this one up.

deny

Other Filtration? Do I need more? I have no idea what bio-filtration is.
The water is testing at 0 Ammonia, 7.8 PH, 0 Nitrite and 20 Nitrates. I guess this is what you mean by water parameter?? I did use Bi0-zyme during the first week, but only for the first week. So it seems I just let the diatom run its course right? So how do I know when the cycle is finished?? I won't buy anymore fish until I'm sure it's safe. Hubby is getting pretty anxious though. Can I add some crabs or something like that now??

teen

i would go out and get some live rock. i would say about 50lbs, but thats totally up to you. this will help a lot with filtration, becasue thats what live rock is, a natural filter. you should see how much the live rock is first at your local fish store, and also take a look at the live rock sold on this site, you can see it on the left side of the screen( it says live rock, just click it and you can buy it there). also, are you using tap water? if you are this is why you have diatoms. you should look into buying a ro/di unit, or see if a grocery store or walmart buy you sells ro/di water.

deny

Yes, I have been using the tap water. I am thinking that could be helping the problem. So I guess I'll be buying more stuff....no one mentioned how expensive this hobby can get!!

turningtim

Originally Posted by Deny
Yes, I have been using the tap water. I am thinking that could be helping the problem. So I guess I'll be buying more stuff....no one mentioned how expensive this hobby can get!!
Deny, nothing is cheap to start a tank, but if you do it right it will save money and frustration down the line. Its either try and get by now and pay with the lives of your critters or set-up, be patient and enjoy your livestock for a good long while.
Bio-filtration is what turns the fish waste extra food and such into less toxic products. This is what the "cycle" is all about.
Ammonia (Waste/detrius) ----> nitrite

[hr]
> Nitrate. Nitrate gets removed by water changes (WCs). There are ways to remove Nitrate naturally but lets just stick with this for now.
Live Rock/Live sand allows a large amount of surface area for beneficail bacteria to grow and turn the Ammonia to Nitrate. It is recommended that you have 1lb of rock to 1 gal of water, so 50lbs will serve you well. If you stick with the CC (crushed Coral) you must keep it clean and vacuum during water changes or the waste and such will build up in the substrate and could cause problems down the road. Just My Opinion (JMO) I would change out the CC for Sand. Sand does not allow as much waste to penetrate it and thus allows the filtering to pick it up.
Start using RO water. You can buy a unit or your LFS or walmart should have ro water. Look around! Tap water may get you in the end.
This is just my thinking on a new tank. Get what you know works LR, LS and RO water. This will give a good base to start with. Also good test kits and a refractometer are a must have.
Hope This Helps (HTH)
Any more questions , bring it on thats why we're here!
A note on LFS's some are good some are bad but they are in biz to sell their products. Before buying anything check back here. We have nothing to gain in helping you!
HTH
Tim